Recovery for Tip Rhinoplasty in less than 5 months before my wedding? (Photo)

The length of my nose as well as cleft in the tip has always bothered me, especially when I smile. I have been consulted my surgeon who says it should be healed in 5 months. I'm getting married on October 23rd, and the soonest I can be operated on is mid June, leaving a little less than 5 months of healing. Will the majority of swelling subside by the wedding if the surgeon is ONLY reducing the size of my tip as well as adding cartilage to fill the cleft?

Recovery from tip rhinoplasty

First of all, congratulations! The majority of swelling that occurs after a rhinoplasty is in the tip.  With that being said, the majority of swelling subsides over the first 4-6 weeks.  Although your nose may continue to change for up to one year, you have relatively thin skin which should heal at a quicker rate than those with thick nasal tip skin.  5 months should be plenty of time to heal by your wedding.  

Recovery from tip rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Congrats on the Wedding!

You have plenty of time to heal and look great for the wedding. Follow your surgeon's post operative instructions for assurance.

Congrats on the Wedding!

Should I Have a Rhinoplasty Before my Wedding?

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and thank you for sharing your questions/photos. It sounds like you have been considering a rhinoplasty for some time and have very realistic goals.  Tip shaping via a structured approach with suture techniques and contouring will help you achieve your goals. A little support in mid portion may also help you obtain symmetry that will enhance the final result.  Additional photos of your profile and an examination of your skin thickness would help me give you clearer expectations on the predicted recovery.
     Although the swelling and final contours will continue to improve over 12-24 months (long after your wedding), the improvement in shape and balance should be apparent by 5 months.   You should feel confident by your wedding, but you may have to adjust the timing of your engagement and bridal portraits to approximately 3 months after the operation (or before the surgery if you already have your dress and photographer).  
I hope this helps and I congratulations again. Take care.  

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Planning Rhinoplasty Recovery

Thanks for your inquiry. Congratulations on your wedding in October. 5 months of typical post rhinoplasty recovery should be more than enough time for a bride to look her best. Major swelling reduction is generally over by 1 month with greater than 80-90 percent of your recovery completed by 6 months. Individual patients heal different however, so this is just a general rule. Some of the more subtle changes of your appearance may take 1 year or more for the final rhinoplasty result. 

Based on your limited photos, you may not require osteotomies or narrowing of your nasal bones. (This is best determined however by an in-person consultation). This should also work in your favor with regards to quicker post-operative recovery and swelling reduction. In my view, a gentle surgeon and excellent pre-operative planning should provide you with appropriate reassurance about your time table for your wedding.

Additionally, correcting length involves reducing the septal cartilage length. Improving the cleft appearance of your nasal tip usually involve suture modification and strut graft placement. In my view, this is better than filling in the cleft with cartilage as a tip graft may show. Both techniques are well tolerated and heal nicely. Your left upper lateral cartilage shows some asymmetry as well, which can be improved with cartilage spreader grafts. In general most of these rhinoplasty cartilage graft technique can best be done via an open approach, allowing for precise placement, and heal beautifully. 

I hope this answer helps with your rhinoplasty plans. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Planning Rhinoplasty Recovery

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Majority of swelling will subside.

At five months you will sufficiently healed.  However try to move your surgery to an earlier date if at all possible.

Majority of swelling will subside.

Tip rhinoplasty

The far majority of patients must undergo a full rhinoplasty, not a tip rhinoplasty. Full healing after the procedure is one year. The majority of the swelling will have subsided 5 months after the procedure, so you can feel confident at your wedding

Tip rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty and upcoming nuptials!

Congrats!

I think you should do fine and look great for your wedding pics.

The majority of swelling occurs with tip work.  However, the fact that you have relatively thin skin helps you and you should look good within 3 months p surgery.

Rhinoplasty and upcoming nuptials!

Congrats!

Should I have a Rhinoplasty Before my Wedding

Dear vsegler, You should be fine for rhinoplasty surgery five months before your wedding. I perform many rhinoplasty procedures on patients  prior to their wedding dates and often "mother of the bride" (facelift) and daughter (rhinoplasty) together. If you review my video links on my profile page you will see over forty videos of patients who are having their splint removed on day seven post surgery and their photographs are taken that day unless otherwise noted so this will give you a good idea of the range of swelling and bruising post surgery. I also included the video above with before and afters and wedding shots of another beautiful bride! Congratulations on your wedding day may it be all that you imagine! Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Michael Elam, MD

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

We get this question more often than one might think and I tend to dissuade people from doing anything major too close to a big event. That being said, 5 months should be plenty of time for most of the swelling to resolve prior to the wedding and any bruising should be long gone by then! Your final result won't be visible until approximately 1 year postoperatively.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!