Raising the tip of my nose and getting my nostrils reduced. Should I fix my deviated septum?

At first I originally just wanted to "look better" and downsize the size of my nostrils to mask that it is crooked and raise the tip. However I do have a deviated septum, it curves towards the bottom almost in an L or J shape. It does prevent me from breathing well out of one nostril. Should I consider fixing when I do the others? I realized if I have my nostrils reduced it may leave even less space for me to breathe through that nostril if I don't get it fixed.

Should I correct Function Breathing Problems and Make Cosmetic Changes at the Same Time

All of your concerns should be addressed at the same time during your septorhinoplasty surgery. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist to discuss your options so you achieve a balanced natural result with normal breathing.

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty procedures

A rhinoplasty and septoplasty are 2 completely separate procedures, and both can be performed at the same time. A septoplasty was performed for medical necessity to improve airflow dynamics through the nose. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty was performed for cosmetic purposes to lift the tip, shave down the dorsal hump, and straighten the crooked nose. For more information about the differences between the 2 procedures, please see link and the video below

Septoplasty as part of a Rhinoplasty: The tip follows the septum

The nasal tip will follow the nasal septum, therefore if the nasal septum is deviated the tip will likely follow the direction of deviation. This is best identified on a "worm's eye" view of the nose and through an internal examination of the nose. In order to adequately correct the nasal tip, the nasal septum should be centered. This is often missed and is a common source of secondary rhinoplasty procedures. The silver lining is that the nose will likely function better as well as look better.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Deviated Septum

Hi there.  If the septum is causing airway obstruction, it may be worthwhile to repair at the time of the rhinoplasty.  The two procedures, although separate, are often combined ("septo-rhinoplasty"). 

If you like, please follow the link below.  The article on Septoplasty contains useful diagrams that may help guide your conversation with your surgeon.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Functional and Cosmetic Rhinoplasty

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty are often combined. Indeed, most rhinoplasties require septal cartilage in order to create strength and definition in the tip. If your septum is crooked, it should be fixed at the same time, since your surgeon will probably be there anyway. Just be sure you see a surgeon experienced in functional rhinoplasty. Typically, an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will have no trouble discussing septoplasty with you and performing both operations at the same time. Good luck!

Minas Constantinides, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

The internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do  without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty + rhinoplasty

Yes, absolutely. You should have any structural problems compromising your breathing fixed at the same time. It is very common for me to perform septoplasties + rhinoplasties at the same time. If you don't fix the breathing problem, it may get worse later on. Good luck. Best, Dr H

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Deviated Nasal Septum

You should definitely correct any functional or structural issues related to a deviated nasal septum at the time of your rhinoplasty. This is an extremely common combination for my patients undergoing nasal surgery. You do not want to simply look better and then find out later that your nasal airway was inadvertently further compromised by your rhinoplasty. 

Please consult with an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon/ Otolaryngologist for a comprehensive consultation and review of your cosmetic and therapeutic options. Best Wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated septum

A deviated septum is a common cause for airway obstruction especially when it is at the "bottom" or "caudal" end of the airway because it is creating more resistance to the flow of air into your nose in an area where small blockages mean big changes in air flow. The surgery to fix a deviated septum is a "septoplasty" and is often different from surgery that would involve the nostrils themselves. Some patients will combine a septoplasty with a rhinoplasty or surgery to the soft tissue and bones of the nose for cosmetic improvement. A board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and make specific recommendations. Good luck, MMT