Miradry for body odor?

I just had Miradry first treatment last week. After a week, I noticed the sweat really reduce, but the body odor underarms still strong. I was worried about Miradry will not work on the body odor. Should I wait for couple more weeks to see the result on body odor underarms ? Or this is too early to assume the Miradry

Miradry in Los Angeles for body odor

Miradry is currently FDA approved for excessive sweating, not body odor. I would wait, however, as I have seen some improvement with body odor after treatment in my patients. I would also encourage laser hair removal in the area. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

MiraDry and body odor

miraDry and body odor

You may experience some swelling, minor bruising and tenderness of the underarms, which should subside within a couple of weeks. We recommend avoiding strenuous activity requiring your arms until your symptoms have resolved. Some patients have short-term altered sensation of the underarm skin or upper arms. This will gradually disappear. If any of these side effects occur, we recommend avoiding strenuous activities requiring use of your arms until they have subsided. Aside from getting rid of sweat and odor, miraDry® can also reduce hair growth under the arm.

This should improve with time.  Most patients treated at level 5 do not need another treatment but it is possilbe and should be done at 6 months

MiraDry and Body Odor

MiraDry is currently only FDA approved for axillary hyperhidrosis, and not body odor. That said, many patients have experienced a lot of improvement with body odor. I would wait a few more weeks to see if there is improvement. A second treatment may be needed for optimal results. Laser hair removal, as previously mentioned, can also help.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Body odor and miraDry

Thank you for your question. I generally do see a great improvement in body odor with miraDry. If you need a second treatment, I would recommend that you discuss with your practice on using the most aggressive treatment energy level. That should help to maximize the degree of body odor reduction that you achieve. 

Bromhidrosis and miraDry in Buffalo Niagara, NY

miraDry definitely helps with hyprehidrosis and bromhidrosis (odor).

There are 3 types of sweat glands (eccrine, apocrine and apoeccrine). All are destroyed with this technology (indiscrimintely). It is the apocrine glands that cause odor.

You may need more than 1 procedure to help with the odor. 

I agree with Dr. Raffy (see below) that hair removal will help as well. The miraDry procedure may help with this as well. Or, you can choose laser hair removal technology. 

Dr Karamanoukian

Body odor

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people (you may need a second treatment if you are still having odor)! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

MiraDry for odor and sweat

miraDry will reduce both sweat and odor.  Have some patience, and be sure to get your second treatment 3 months after your initial treatment. 

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens              Marina Plastic Surgery Associates               Marina del Rey, CA             The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD