Why am I losing my hair at 22? (Photo)

my hair was healthy last year, i was thin but not as thin now. i started noticing it was becoming frizzy and a lot more hair was coming out. Now when i shower you can literally see my scalp, look as if i have bald spots. I use all organic products. i was vegetarian for a year and went back to eating meat because i thought that was effecting it, i take my vitamins and supplements every morning. im really self conscious and will not go swimming with any friends and its summer!

The most common cause of hair loss in general for men is genetic androgenic alopecia.

The most common cause of hair loss in general for men is genetic androgenic alopecia.  If you are concerned you should see a doctor for an examination and diagnosis.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Spironolactone

I suggest seeking an expert for further evaluation of your hair loss. Non invasive treatments such as PRP/ progesterone have shown improvements. Best, Dr. Emer

200 and losing hair

99% of men who lose their hair have genetic causes. Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Why losing hair at 22?

meagandear,So sorry about your hair loss. It is imperative to have a thorough evaluation, including history and close physical examination. Would recommend lab and scalp biopsy. It might be that your hair loss could be related to your diet, as calorie and protein malnutrition can trigger extensive hair loss but for sure the work up is in order. Good luck!

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Why am I losing hair?

It actually requires alot of questions to figure out why someone is losing hair and one needs to view the scalp up close and review all of a patients blood tests. These are the three things I require for all my female patients: full history, scalp exam, blood tests. Without these, it is not possible to diagnose hair loss in women.The most likely causes of hair loss in a 22 year old woman with the story presented is androgenetic alopecia and telogen effluvium. However, other causes are also possible including alopecia areata.