How long should I be on Propecia before getting a transplant to minimize shock loss?

If the answer is simply "longer is better", what might the plot of the relationship between "time on Propecia" vs "effectiveness in lessening shock loss" look like? I've been on and off Propecia, but mostly off, over several years.

You do not need to be on Propecia to have a hair transplant surgery. You may want to discuss Propecia options with your

You do not need to be on Propecia to have a hair transplant surgery.  You may want to discuss Propecia options with your doctor.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How long on Propecia before shock lost risk is lessen?

brian00001,

Shock loss is more likely when working in an area where there is miniaturization or thinning of the hair. This is further enhanced when combined with epinephrine. The additional factors that minimizes it are precise angles and direction of the new sites. I would recommend Propecia use if possible for a few weeks before. This also make the thinning follicles less likely to undergo shock lost.

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finasteride and shock loss

If you take the drug at least 2 weeks prior to the hair transplant and stay on it through the growth period, the shock loss is reduced. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

There's no absolute answer, but at least a month

A month on the drug will get you to a steady state and may help protect against shock loss. My belief is that shock loss is worsened by trying to pack grafts in too densely at the time of the procedure, so just don't swing for the fences! Sometimes you are better off planning 2 medium procedures than doing one mega-session. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon