How long do I need health insurance before getting a breast reduction?

I'm 20 years old and live in Texas. I'm very very interested in a breast reduction (have been for years) but I don't have health insurance. I'm considering getting insurance to try to get the surgery covered -- how long do I need to be insured before getting the reduction? (I have checked the requirements for multiple insurance companies online and think I would be a strong candidate for having my surgery covered by insurance).

Breast Reduction - Insurance

Thank you for your inquiry.  Each insurance company has their own criteria and guidelines.  I would first consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you're a candidate for the breast reduction procedure.  Your surgeon will do a breast examine and discuss your options.  Most insurance companies look at your height, weight and BSA to determine the required amount of grams to be removed for an approval.  Once you meet with your surgeon, then you can check to see which insurance company and plan will work best for you.  There are many financing options available to you as well, if you'd rather not go the insurance route. Best of luck!

How long do you need to have insurance before they will cover a breast reduction?

Thank you for your question and I would recommend that you get an insurance policy you can afford first. I would also ask if they do cover such procedures as a breast reduction because some insurance companies consider this cosmetic.  Every company has different criteria when it comes to approval of a procedure so I would ask what is required to qualify for a reduction.  Most will require several months of conservative therapy.  Once you are covered you can start the process but I would first visit a board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you through the process and help attain the results you want and are realistic.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon