Are my lips especially my upper lip suppose to swell like this after lip fillers? Help! (Photo)

One day ago I received juvederm for my lip filler. Doing my research this place looked safe and promising. Now I'm on the second day and I feel like teen mom from botched. Is the swelling suppose to look aweful like this? If not what do I do? Technically at 2pm central time it will be 24 hrs since done.

Some swelling after lip injections is normal, but keep an eye on it.

Some swelling after getting lip injections is to be expected, and the severity of these symptoms can highly depend on the individual. Because you’ve had your injections so recently, I would suggest giving your body a few more days to recover to see if the swelling begins to diminish. This swelling could last anywhere from a few days to about 2 weeks, but most people see noticeable improvements within the first week. If your symptoms get worse, or you don’t see any improvements over the next couple days, consult an experienced and trained professional on how best to proceed. 

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Lip swelling after filler

As annoying as this may be, it is normal to have swelling of your lips for up to 2 weeks following injection with filler. Although the filler can be removed with hyaluronidase, I would recommend waiting 2 weeks to see the final result first. 

Restylane - Juvederm and lips

You will find the same answer from all the specialists on this forum- it takes 1-2 weeks before swelling settles and the true outcome is known. Swelling is almost Universal with fillers like Restylane- Juvederm, and other HA fillers. 

Give it time, and be patient. At day one post filler, it looks great!

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia.

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane

Lips swell after injections, some more than others. It can take up to 2 weeks to resolve. I suggest reversing the fillers if you are unhappy but wait at least 2 weeks. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Swelling After Fillers

Swelling of the lips is very common after filler injections and everyone will experience it to some degree. The severity of it will vary from person to person and based on the technique used. The swelling is usually the worst in the first 1-2 days after your injection. It may take up to 2 weeks to fully resolve. I would not panic at this point as it is still very early after your injections. Cold compresses, ice packs, and arnica can help. But, even if you do nothing it will eventually get better on its own. Make sure you follow up with your injector after a couple of weeks if there are still issues. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Are my lips especially my upper lip suppose to swell like this after lip fillers? Help!

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. I am sorry to hear of your difficulties after filler placement but rest assured these symptoms will all get better over the next 10 days. It often takes up to 2 weeks for fillers to soften and the tissues to appear more natural. In the meantime try reducing the swelling by using cold compresses to your lips and elevating your head at night with a couple of extra pillows behind your back. You may want to also consider using Arnica Montana and bromelain as supplements. Hang in there!

Hello Trenadee,

When injecting fillers, and especially when injecting into the lips, there can be swelling and bruising afterwards.  The lips definitely swell more than other areas because of their great blood supply.  The swelling will likely increase for the first 48 hours and then start to slowly come off.  Treatments that can help include staying upright instead of laying down, cold compresses (don't put ice directly on the area as you can get frost bite), over the counter anti inflammatories, and in extreme cases prescription based steroids.  I would recommend you clear any treatment with your injector before starting it.  After two weeks if you still aren't happy with your lips then there is an injection that can be given which dissolves the product.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm causes temporary swelling

Swelling and sometimes bruising are quite common with injectable fillers, such as Juvederm and Restylane. They are temporary (usually less than a week) and not worrisome.  

I recommend:
1. Cold compresses to the lips for the first 24 hours.
2. Elevation of your head (sleep with extra pillows).
3. Use of Arnica Montana (which is an anti-bruising medication available over-the-counter).
4. Avoidance of strenuous exercise on the day of injection.

Do not consider further procedures for the lips for at least a month following the injection.  

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Lip swelling with juvederm

Lip swelling is normal and expected for several days after filler injections.  Hard to believe they didn't tell you this would happen when they did the injections.  Give it time to go down. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon