Do I really need liposuction on my flanks?

Hi, I am new here and just starting my path towards TT. I am a petite person. I had 2 c-sections. Now I have diastasis 1 inch and small hernia, which is not emergency. I found plastic surgeon whom I like and don't feel like looking for another one, but the only thing which is bothering me: he said that I need full TT with hernia repair AND LIPOSUCTION. Do I really need that lipo?

Do I really need liposuction on my flanks? (Photo)

You are a rather thin woman, so it depends on your post-surgical goals. Flank lipo can certainly give you a more athletic look, but I don't think that it's a must. I think you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck and will look great. Best of luck!

For what I can see on the pictures you are a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck. Along with the TT surgery comes the repair of the hernia. In your case a liposuction is not necessary, you will look good without as well. But the best results will be achieved with the TT and a liposuction of your lower back. Again, it¨s not necessary if you don't want to.

Liposuction of flanks will be a good adjunctive procedure.

Hi, Lyolya13.  Thanks for your question and photos.  From your photos and description, you are a good candidate for tummy tuck.  Performing liposuction of flanks and waists can give you a better result.  For most of my tummy tuck patients, I combine liposuction of flanks and waist as it allows me to give a better, hour-glass shape and result.  If you understand your plastic surgeon's surgical plan and recommendation and trust him, you should follow his advice as he has examined you in-person.  Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Do I need lipo on the flanks?

Hello, liposuction of the flanks is an elective procedure (as well as the tummy tuck) so unless you are worried about the appearance of the flanks, you don't require liposuction of this region.

Flank lipo

Liposuction of the flanks would help your overall result.  Without it you may run the risk of what is called a "dog ear", your incision could pucker where it ends and liposuction of that area can help prevent that.  You look like a great candidate for a tummy tuck and should love your results.  Good luck with your surgery. 

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

Your flank liposuction is optional. Often women notice this area more after their excess abdominal tissue is removed. It is a more complete look; however, flank liposuction is somewhat painful per my patients. Best of luck.

None ever "needs" liposuction, but it will improve the overall cosmetic results in a patient with your anatomy. Ultimately, it is a personal decision based on multiple factors which include desired outcome, realistic expectations and finances.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do  without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon have extensive body contouring surgery experience and be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lipo with a tummy tuck

I usually recommend the flank liposuction to improve the result of the tummy tuck. The body is three dimensional. So treating the abdomen with a tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks gives your curves back from front, sides, and back. But it's your decision. Rediscuss this with your PS. It sounds like he thinks the same. 
Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr Morales
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Usually necessary for shape

Good morning!

Surgeons differ in the amount of liposuction they perform with abdominoplasty, but flank liposuction to some extent is performed by most.  Even though you may not need much, the liposuction will avoid gathering of your tissues laterally and hopefully avoid any "dog ears" that may occur.  It will also lengthen and narrow your waist and give you the appearance of being taller.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

While you don't have to do the liposuction at the same time, it is economically and recovery wise, cheaper and easier to do at the same surgery versus having to come back and have it done as a separate procedure. If you like the shape of your hip area, you do not have to do the liposuction.