Lipo, fat transfer, or CoolSculpting? What is the correct procedure for smoothing out the outer hip area?

I have the curvy shape but it's not so even with weight loss and gain.

Surgical vs non-surgical hip contouring

Thank you for your question.  There are both surgical and non-surgical hip contouring options for you. An example of surgical can include liposuction/fat grafting.  If it is isolated to the hip region only, the procedure can probably be done under local.  An example of non-surgical can be Coolsculpting, Kybella to reduce areas of fatty prominence and Sculptra to build up areas of depression along the hip contour.  An assessment and physical exam can be helpful to discuss your options in more detail and determine whether non-surgical can achieve your goals.  I would visit with board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in both surgical and non-surgical options for body contouring, and who also have non-surgical options for fat grafting.

CoolSculpting vs. Liposuction for outer hip area

Hi Sylia, 

It’s difficult to say which procedure works best without a proper examination which is why we offer free consultations for all of our patients. Liposuction and CoolSculpting are both options to help smooth the outer hip/thigh area, however, Liposuction is an invasive procedure that requires anesthesia and up to several weeks of downtime. The CoolSculpting treatment is an FDA-cleared fat-reduction treatment which eliminates unwanted stubborn fat that is resistant to diet and exercise. Unlike Liposuction, CoolSculpting is a non-invasive treatment that requires no anesthesia and no downtime. The treatment will permanently eliminate fat cells and help contour the desired areas of your body and has proved to be a great success for smoothing the outer hip/thigh.

Hope this answers your question :)

- Dr. Dale

Dale Prokupek, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Is CoolSculpting effective at smoothing the outer hip?

Hi sylvia_775, thank you for your question. First of all, I would highly recommend that you find a reputable and experienced CoolSculpting practice and schedule an in person consultation.  It is so important to be seen in person to really know if you are a good candidate for the procedure.  If you are indeed a candidate, you will find that CoolSculpting does an amazing job smoothing the bulge of the outer hip. Depending on what you are looking at, most client will need to treat 2 or more times, as each treatment will remove 20-25% of the fat cells from the treated areas. The results are smooth, natural looking and, best of all, permanent.  Unlike other options, CoolSculpting is a non-invasive and non-surgical treatment that has little to no downtime.  Many of our patients find that they can be right back at the gym on the same day as the treatment.  I hope this helps you. Good luck with everything!

Edward Stokes, MD
West Hollywood Physician

Coolsulpting

Coolsculpting is a permanent non invasive fat reduction procedure.  The results do vary amongst patients.  The technology is  used for love handles, abdominal fat,  and submental fat. As with any cosmetic surgical procedure its best to see a provider for an assessment and see if you are felt to be a good candidate. 

Philip Solomon, MD, FRCS
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting

Thank you for your question. Without any pictures it can be very difficult to answer, as you need to be a good candidate for each of these procedures. If you are a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle, and just wish to even out your curves-as you say- then you may consider CoolSculpting. It is a non-invasive permanent fat reduction. It will help smooth out pockets of fat that you can't get rid of with diet and exercise. It can truly sculpt the body, and enhance the shape! As always it is best to consult with a local licensed physician to determine the best course of action. Good luck!

Janet Allenby, DO
Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Shaping the hips with VASER, ThermiRF, fat grafting

This is difficult to answer without pictures. Coolsculpting is good for removing stubborn areas of fat, but lacks body shaping. For the hips, I recommend a high definition procedure like VASER liposuction. For best results, I recommend a hi definition procedure like VASER liposuction. I use VASER HI DEF with ThermRF and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, contour and definition. This combination will give you the smoothest result to the hips, while keeping a curvy shape. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a hi definition physique expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Outer thigh treatments

If you want less curved outer thighs then go for liposuction or coolsculpting. The method you choose depends on your expectations and downtime. If you want dramatic results go for liposuction and if you want moderate result then go for coolsculpting. Fat transfer into the outer thighs is for a more curvy look.  

Joseph Ajaka, MD, MBBS
Sydney Physician

Decisions

Making the right decision for you is what is most important.  If you are looking for non-invasive procedure,  Coolsculpting is your best option.  The Cool Smooth Pro can show definite results and a smoother outer thigh with typically one treatment to each side.  The applicator has a flat surface and a larger plate. This unique, comfortable flat applicator design allows a 38% larger area to be treated than with the previous applicator. The procedure known as ‘cryolipolysis’ targets, cools and eliminates fat cells without causing damage to surrounding tissue.  During this process the fat cells crystallize, break down and are then naturally flushed from the body over the next few months. A non-invasive applicator is placed onto the targeted area.  The fat is drawn up into the applicator between two cooling panels by suction. As the cooling starts, a feeling of pressure and cold follows. This process takes one hour 15 minutes for the thighs and there may be some mild bruising after the treatment. We hope this helps you make your decision in the best possible way.  Goodluck.  

Jennifer Cova, DO
Dayton OB/GYN

Thanks for your question and photos would be very useful here.  You need to have a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn which options will work best for you – CoolSculpting works well to remove unwanted areas of fat – best on the stomach and love handles and works in a series of treatments with minimal down time.  You need to see the proper provider and get the proper information to get the best results.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon