Is there a non invasive way to tighten eyelids? Or is surgrey required?

im 39 and my eyelids are very heavy. (Genes)

Tightening Eyelids

Thank you for your question. There are non surgical tissue tightening treatments available that may improve the eyelids, but without photographs it is hard to say what treatment would be ideal. I would recommend an in person exam to determine candidacy. 

Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

There are many options for improving the eyelids without surgery?

But without more information it will be hard to guide you to a correct treatment or combination. Surgery may or may not be required to reach your goals.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surgical blepharoplasty to tighten eyelids

A surgical blepharoplasty involves removing excess skin, muscle and fat when indicated to rejuvenate the upper and lower lids. Noninvasive treatments do not work very well around the orbit. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Hello aimeebrou - Thanks for your question. Depending on the extent of loose skin on your eyelids, there are non-surgical treatments such as laser and RF (radiofrequency) skin tightening that can improve the skin.  In my opinion, fractional CO2 laser is the best for eyelid skin rejuvenation but is has some significant downtime and more risk.  Another technology I've found to be useful is RF microneedling.  We use the Venus Viva device.  It requires more treatment sessions but the cosmetic downtimes are minimal.  I find that patients are happy with either option as long as they have realistic expectations. I hope this helps.Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Heavy eyelids

You are young and I'm guessing that if your eyelids are heavy, it's not because of loose skin! Without a picture it is difficult to say, but you might have ptosis. Please see an Oculoplastic surgeon in your area for eyelid evaluation and treatment suggestions. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Generally it very much depends on your issues.

CO2 and erbium resurfacing are too aggressive.  Fractional treatment reduces the work and damage done.  However, it is not a substitute for structural surgery if that is actually what you need.  Without a photograph or personal consultation, these are just general recommendations.

Non invasive eyelid treatment

There are noninvasive eyelid treatments to reduce wrinkles and tighten the skin. Using fractional CO2 or Erbium Laser treatments, we can achieve very good results without undergoing the knife. Fractional laser resurfacing tightens the epidermis and stimulates collagen synthesis. Consult with a specialist in laser resurfacing for best results. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non surgical eyelid treatments

Thanks for your question.It is such a shame that the advertisements which claim to remove excess eyelid skin are allowed to take peoples hard earned money.Please find a qualified plastic surgeon in your area for evaluation.Thanks

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Heavy eyelids

Genetics can lead to heavy eyelids due to laxity of the orbital septum, bulging of fat pads and excess skin.  There is no non-surgical treatment that will correct these issues. That said, a blepharoplasty is an excellent procedure with long lasting results and little down town.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon