I have a small hernia. Can I still have a tummy tuck?

Hernia repair during tummy tuck

Hi, thanks for your question.

Usually, a hernia can be repaired at the same time depending on where it is and the extent of the defect. Commonly, small umbilical hernias (hernia at the base of the belly button) are repaired at the time of a tummy tuck. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Austin Physician

Small hernia and tummy tuck

It is very common for patients to have a small umbilical hernia, especially after having children.  If the patient has a small hernia I fix it while doing the tummy tuck.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and small hernia

It is not uncommon for women post pregnancy to develop a small hernia around their belly button ( umbilicus).   This can be fixed at the time of your tummy tuck surgery together with tightening of your abdominal muscles.   You should consult a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate the degree of your hernia and the complexity in the repair.   

Carlin Vickery, MD (retired)

Hernia and Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question, Patricia

Most board-certified plastic surgeons are knowledgable about the anatomy of the abdominal wall, the surrounding fascia, and hernias to address them if encountered. Certainly, a formal examination is best to determine the size and location of the hernia so as to avoid any surprises at time of surgery. In some circumstances, insurance can cover the hernia part of the operation. Speak to your surgeon about this and good luck.

Sanjay K. Sharma, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question,and yes it can be done it is very common to do this procedures at the same time, please consult with a board certified PS, good luck!

Thank you for your question. Generally abdominal hernias can be addressed at the time of a tummy tuck. . I would recommend consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options  

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Hernia repair with Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. I have treated several patients who needed hernia repair at the time of their tummy tuck procedure. I perform a lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck which allows me to address the hernia along with tightening the abdominal muscles and removing loose skin. You should make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this area. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Hernia can ususally be addressed at time of TT

Thanks for your question. Normally hernias can be addressed at the time of the TT. Depending on the location and size the plastic surgeon may be able to repair this by themselves. If there are extenuating circumstances then sometimes it is done in conjunction with a general surgeon. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member and specializes in body contouring. The SmartBeauty Guide is a good resource. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Tummy tuck

You can certainly have a tummy tuck performed with a hernia but you may want to consider having the hernia repaired during your surgery. These are commonly performed together. I would suggest discussing this with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy + hernia repair

Yes you can have a tummy tuck, it will be wise to have the Hernia repair at the same time and its also really common. 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD