I feel like my nose is too big and makes me look goofy? (Photos)

When I smile my nose gets larger therefore, I avoid smiling. I wonder if getting surgery on my nose will fix the the shape while giving me a natural looking nose. Should I get the procedure done?

Rhinoplasty Candidacy

Dear Bifstabloni, Your nose balances nicely with your facial aesthetics and looks lovely with your smiling or resting face. I would urge you to possibly learn some contouring techniques with makeup that will reduce the slight flare you see upon smiling and leave well enough alone. You are probably the only person who sees this and I would guess your friends would be quite envious of your cute nose. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty Goals

A rhinoplasty can help to refine the shape of the nose. The dynamics of the nose during smiling may not be affected by a rhinoplasty, but could be softened with peri-alar fillers and possibly Botox. This could be done prior to determining if a rhinoplasty is in order. Three dimensional imaging would also be an important component to your evaluation.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Not a rhinoplasty candidate

From the photographs presented, the nose actually appears very nice and balanced with itself, and your facial feature. Probably best to leave well enough alone 

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Your nose looks lovely to me in repose and also when smiling. I wish you could appreciate your beauty and hope this is just a passing phase.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Refinements

Thanks for your post and photos. From your images, you appear to have a nice nose and attractive facial features. Smiling sometimes causes the nose to appear wider or droopy if the patient lacks sufficient tip support. This can be due to relatively weak nasal cartilages or thicker skin. Fortunately, a finesse rhinoplasty with placement of cartilage grafts for tip support along with other natural modifications for your nose can correct this issue. In my view, you may benefit from a refinement open rhinoplasty to accomplish your goal of improved appearance, while still giving you a natural outcome. Your best recommendations will require a consultation in person, along with an exam, computer imaging studies and a thorough discussion about your goals. Avoid something overdone and focus on your cosmetic goals with an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty. Once you understand your options and potential benefits, I am sure you will be able to decide if rhinoplasty is for you. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon