I am concerned that my face will not be normal. Is this swelling going to go down? (photo)

I had Sculptra done one week ago and my jaw line is swollen and puffy, making me look overweight. The girl who did it went deep and I am scared she hurt me. What can I do to look normal again?

Swelling from Sculptra

Swelling after injections with Sculptra is normal and usually takes about 7 days to subside although it could take up to two weeks if you developed a deep bruise in the area.  If you think the area where "the girl" injected is becoming more swollen, painful, hot or red you will need to follow up immediately with a licensed physician in your area --this is one of the reasons it is important to go to a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Swelling after sculptra

Swelling after sculptra can last up to a week or so.  If the swelling is gradually reducing, it is likely very normal.  Applying cold compresses and light massage may help to resolve the area.  If the area is not improving, it is best to follow up with your physician to be evaluated.   Deep injections could potentially be causing some parotid gland swelling (especially if it is worse after eating) or infection.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra and Results / Swelling

sculptra can cause swelling for a few weeks, but typically a few days and its resolved. I suggest speaking to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scupltra

I would recommend that your follow-up with your injector this coming week to make sure you don't have a skin infection if you have concerns. It is not unusual for some swelling or fullness to be present for the first 1-2 weeks after the treatment.  This normally will go down and then there is some gradual filling that occurs after the fullness subsides.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician

Swollen from Sculptra

The results from Sculptra take at least 6-8 weeks to see and can be up to 6 months to see the full results. Unless there is a concern over infection, there is nothing to do except wait for the results. Bruising and swelling can occur after injection of any filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Appearance 1 week after Sculptra

I would wait at least 1-2 months to judge the results of your Sculptra treatment.  It is not unusual for some swelling or fullness to be present for the first 1-2 weeks after the treatment.  This normally will go down and then there is some gradual filling that occurs after the fullness subsides.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon