I will be 70 in January, 2017. I would like guidance in trying to feel more attractive. (Photo)

Do I ask about a complete face lift, or a partial one. Is there a better choice, or several possible choices. I have been on estrogen-blocking therapy, and have aged rapidly lately.

How to Feel More Attractive at Age 70

Do not feel depressed about the way you look:  we surgeons are here to help you, and the physical is just the external *and it can be improved with surgery.*  You do not need to be expert in what to ask for; you need to be expert in doing your research on plastic surgeons.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with decades of experience, an excellent education, and please carefully read his or her reviews. (Some of us will offer phone consultations as well if you find surgeons out of your area.)  You also need to be expert in what you don't like on your face; the surgeon will then offer solutions to your problems.  From there, you can then decide how to proceed with surgery.  I congratulate you on your approaching birthday, and I am certain that by the time you will be blowing out the candles on your cake, you will be looking refreshed and renewed.  

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a mini facelift with a neck lift.  If good technique is used, this can be done with minimal scarring and can result in a natural look, not over-done look, with rejuvenation of your face.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Face Lift at 70 Years of Age

You will have a more balanced face if you have a full face lift, brow lift, and eye lift, as long as you are in good health. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and ask if computer imaging is offered so that you can get a good idea of what results you can expect. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Facial rejuvenation

It seems that your best choice would be a full facial rejuvenation including face and neck lift, upper and lower eyelid surgery and fat grafts to selected areas of the face. This can be done in a single surgery or it can be separated in few surgeries. Providing that you are in a good health this is a surgery that will bring you full gratification. Recovery is 2-3 weeks including bruising and swelling. No true discomfort, pain; result in the hands of an experienced surgeon is very predictable with minimal possibility for complications.You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in face lift surgery and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Facelift under local anaesthetic

Thank you for your question. I have performed many Facelift under local anaesthetic administered properly, patients are comfortable and have an easier recover.  I have pioneered my Concept Facelift, which targets the SMAS muscle and skin, therefore giving the same longevity as a traditional facelift, however is performed under local anaesthetic.  This ensures a significantly reduced recovery period, with minimum swelling and bruising, therefore patients returning to their daily routines within 5-7 days. My reasons for pioneering this were because patients did not want the health risk of going under general anaesthetic (especially as is it not a necessity procedure), local anaesthetic or twilight sedation would be a great alternative, not only for health reasons but your recovery period will be shorter.  My patients will experience slight discomfort when injecting the local anaesthetic, then will feel very relaxed and calm throughout the procedure (please watch video).  Overall, the Concept Facelift giving our patients fresh, youthful and long lasting results. Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  All The Best

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Facial Surgery

Do not feel depressed.  Based on your photos you would benefit from facelift, forehead lift,  blepharoplasty surgery, fillers, and a good skin care program. Consult wiith a board certified plastic surgeon who is hightly experienced for an in person exam to discuss your options and expectations. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

You will need a comprehensive facial operation

You will need a very complete facial rejuevinating surgery.  Partials will not do much for you. Complete Facial Rejuevinating surgery will need to incorporate Forehead, Blepharoplasty, Face lift and Neck lift.It will take 6-7 hours of surgery after a complete medical checkup and medical clearance. You should set aside at least three weeks for recovery.Do not be depressed. Proceed and be happy.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Facial Aging and Lasers, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Fat Injections/Sculptra, RF skin tightening

A surgical approach such as a face lift is an option, but there are non surgical alternatives as well. There is a lot you can do for facial aging with fillers, lasers, skin tightening, surgery, fat.I suggest you see an expert to go through all the options.  A combination approach is best. Dr. Emer.

70 in January, 2017. I would like guidance in trying to feel more attractive.

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat in front of and below the cheeks, jowls are present, the chin is weak and there is excess skin in the neck.   Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.At 70 and based upon the photos, you could have the minimally, invasive facelift described above with dermal filler to shape the cheeks in less than 90 minutes with or without a general anesthetic. This might be the most logical approach. The alternative is a 6 hour surgery under general anesthetic (traditional facelift with full Neck Lift) with a significantly longer recovery time (bruising, swelling).  

Hope this helps.

A complete facelift would be a good start. Get a complete evaluation by a plastic surgeon who deals with the face, and get an evaluation by your primary physician to make sure you are healthy enough to undergo a procedure.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon