Hyaluronic acid to dissolve filler. My doctor is suggesting Belotero to refill. (Photo)

I got hyadulronic acid to dissolve filler and now my under eyes look hollow. I also have some bruises which look like they are turning yellow. Is that normal? My doctor is suggesting Boletero to refill. I definitely believe I need additional filler but am worried about complications. Would beletero be the best bet for my skin type? Would it be recommended to get voluma for my cheeks?

Filling the under eye area with Belotero

If you had a problem with filler under the eyes, I would make sure that all of the product has been reversed or is gone before I would recommend that you have more product injected.  Belotero is designed for this under eye area.  Please be certain that you consult an expert in this delicate under eye area. Best, Dr. Green

Hyaluronidase waiting period and refilling

You bring up some great questions. Definitely wait until all bruising and swelling has resolved before attempting to refill the tear trough area (under the eyes). I'd recommend a 2 week wait at a minimum. As far as the type of product, I would recommend using two different products. Use a thinner product such as Belotero or Restylane Silk for under the eyes, and a thicker product such as Voluma, Restylane Lift or Radiesse for building cheek volume. For filling performed under the eye, an approach using a cannula can minimize bleeding and bruising. I often recommend pre-procedure ice and Arnica if bruising has been a problem in the past. Be Well! Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Filler Under Eyes And Swelling

Please post photos of you before. I suggest waiting a bit to let the hyaluronidase work before injecting more fillers.  And using cannulas next treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Filler Under the Eyes after Hyaluronidase

If you had a filler around the eye that resulted in needing hyaluronidase to remove it, you should not try again to fill the area with another similar filler. We used Belotero and Restylane for a number of years in this area until we learned that it causes more problems than it is worth. It sounds as if your injector has not as yet learned this. Instead, the injection must be kept low and elevate the tissues to eliminate the under eye hollow. This is best done with Juvederm Voluma (my personal choice now) or Radiesse (what I previously used). Make sure you see an expert injector with significant experience and good results in this area. (See ExpertInjector.org and PlasticSurgeryToday.com/juvederm-voluma-xc/)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Next Steps After Hyaluronidase

Thanks for your question. I think it would definitely be a good idea to volumize your cheeks with Voluma. It will also help improve the appearance underneath your eyes. You will still also need filler under your eyes. Belotero is a good choice for this. I would use a microcannula to minimize bruising. I'm not sure how long it has been since you had your hyaluronidase, but I would probably wait a few weeks for your residual bruising to resolve before you go poking needles into the area again. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon