Will it hurt to lose weight after Lipo (waist, upper and lower abdomen)?

I am planning to have lipo done on my waist, and stomach in the next few weeks. I am very straight shaped, nothing is "big" I just have never had a flat stomach or a defined waist which is why I want the lipo and I believe having it done will motivate me to lose weight. With that being said how would it look if I lost weight after the lipo say about 20/30 pounds?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Does it hurt to lose weight after lipo?

Hello and thank you for your question. Usually I tell my patients its great if they can lose weight after liposuction! This can significantly enhance results and can give a "WOW!" effect to any result! However....I say this in caution....Every patient is different and therefore their surgical plans and end results can also vary. So if your are someone that has liposuction done but could have really benefitted from lipo and tummy tuck, then losing more weight after lipo may result in more loose skin. Since your surgeon is the only one that has examined you he can give you the best answer! But other than that scenario, for the most part I tell my patients losing weight after lipo is a great adjunct to achieve an even greater result! Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery and your weight loss!

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after liposuction

I generally prefer my patients to be close to their ideal weight prior to liposuction. Without examining you or seeing photos, however, I cannot specifically comment on your case. It could be possible that some contouring of the areas that concern you could give you a better shape that would improve even more with weight loss. But I would definitely want to examine you in person and discuss your goals and expectations to come up with the best plan for you. Good luck!

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Liposuction - does it hurt to lose weight afterwards?

• Thank you for your question about your liposuction.
  • You will probably look fantastic if you lose weight after the liposuction -
  • It will keep you from having fat reappear in new areas and is what I recommend to ALL my patients.
  • Good for you.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Weight loss and liposuction

Thanks for your inquiry, it is best you loose your weight first, especially 20-30 pounds, prior to liposuction.  Please discuss your eventual plan and goals with your plastic surgeon , good luck.  

I would prefer that my patients be at their best weight prior to the procedure. However, that being said, I have had a number of patients lose some additional weight afterwards. In most cases, it just enhanced the result. Good luck!

Liposuction Candidate and Weight Loss

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool, but used for fine contouring and sculpting. I suggest being at your ideal weight before undergoing a liposuction procedure. Losing 20-30 pounds after liposuction could result in excess and saggy skin. Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for your question. It will not hurt and it is not uncommon people try to loose weight after lipo. Liposuction is not a weight loss operation. You may get some loose skin after that, but hard to tell without seeing picture. Please see a boar certified PS for evaluation.

Weight loss after liposuction

I personally had liposuction a few years ago and after was motivated to tighten up my diet and lost 20 pounds. This improved my results. I look at body contouring surgery as a partnership between my patients and myself. The best results come from good surgery and good lifestyle. 
Self esteem is very motivating, it feels good to look good. The combination of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and a motivated patient gets the best results and maintains those results over time.