Which Would Be Better for Me; Saline or Silicone? (photo)

I am 28 years old, about 5'5 and weigh 120 lbs. I've heard and have even been told by a plastic surgeon that silicone implants are better for thin women. At first I was all for silicone implants due to the fact that they ripple much less than saline implants but now I'm beginning to reconsider which type of implant to go with. Would silicone implants work better for my small frame or would I be fine with saline?

Which Would Be Better for Me; #Saline or #Silicone? (photo) ANS:

You seem to have pretty thin looking breast tissue and for that reason I am leaning more toward a silicone gel implant. But regardless of the implant I am thinking you will need a lift as well. Maybe that is already in the picture, but I didn't see mention of it and I think you may benefit from that as well!!!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Saline Vs Gel Breast Implants

The upsides of a gel implant are a softer feel, and perhaps less wrinkling and rippling in a thin patient. The downsides are a longer scar to place them, and a higher expense than saline implants.

If the downsides are not a big concern for you, then a gel implant may be the right choice.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Which Would Be Better for Me; Saline or Silicone?

As previously written it is more a personal decision. Recently Mentor has introduced the ULTRA HIGH PROFILE silicones and a new "player" Sientra has a very impressive silicone implant. Take a lot at these. 

Which Would Be Better for Me; Saline or Silicone Breast Implants? (photo)

Each type of implant has advantages and disadvantages.  You are the one to decide what is best for you after getting enough information about the alternatives to evaluate in the context of your situation.  Consider umbilical hernia repair as well.

Steve Laverson, MD

SALINE VS GELS

Hi Breezy,

It appears from your photos you have  an element of breast sagging(ptosis).  Without measurements it is difficult to say whether or not you will need a lift with your augmentation. Saline implants are rounder, firmer and more palpable especially along the bottom of the breast and sides. Gels feel more like breast tissue.  It is a personal preference which will satisfy your desires. Generally speaking you will be happy with either selection.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Saline or silicone

Based on your photos, I think that you would be better served with silicone gel implants. That does not mean that you could not be happy with saline, just that gel implants would decrease the risk of rippling and would feel more natural. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Hello

Thank you for the pictures, from your picture we believe that you would benefit from saline or silicone you have plenty of breast tissue to go with either implant. Make sure you go under the muscle it gives you longer lasting results.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift and retro-pectoral silicone implants BEST

Your photographs show that you are quite thin and your breasts are drooping.  I would recommend silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral but more importantly than that, I would recommend a breast lift.  This can be done through a circumareola incision that will lift your breast tissue higher on the chest wall, increase your cleavage and upper pole fullness.  I recommend a minimal size implant, perhaps something in the order of 200 cc's.  The smaller the implant the longer it lasts and less complications.  You are a perfect candidate for a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs. saline

Not sure why you are reconsidering silicone implants. I would agree that silicone implants are better for thin patients. They are less prone to rippling and feel more natural.

Silicone v Saline

Silicone feels better under thin skin and if you get rippling it will be softer.  Having said that saline implants don't feel bad, they are less expensive and can ripple sightly more. There are plenty of women who have used saline implants with breasts like yours and done quite well.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon