When going in for a consultation who should I be meeting with?

I have been on several consultations for liposuction and at each one, I am meeting with a patient consultant, not an actual physician. I have been told that after I put down a deposit I will be put on the schedule and at the pre-op, I will meet with the doctor. Is this how consultations/scheduling typically work?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Consulting about a consultation

You ask a very good question! I'm surprised more people don't ask this question! So in my practice all patients meet with both the consultant AND the doctor. My consultant speaks at great length with the patient, answers questions and makes recommendations on the best treatment. After her conversation with the patient is completed to the patient's satisfaction we both come back together. This is where I get to know the patient and the patient gets to know me and they get to ask any questions that they may have forgotten to ask or that were unable to be answered. I think its very important for me to meet the patient so I can truly understand what their expectations are and why they are wanting a certain procedure. I believe it is important to have at least a few meetings with the physician before surgery so the patient and doctor relationship can develop prior to the surgical procedure. If I was having surgery, I would not feel comfortable unless I met the physician 1st before I booked anything or put any money down. I am not saying that there aren't some excellent surgeons that do it the way you describe but I would prefer to get to know my doctor before I make a final decision. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

In my practice, I meet with every patient at their initial consultation to examine them and discuss the best surgical plan for that individual. Every office handles consultations a little differently, but I find it very important to personally meet with the patients.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Liposuction - should I meet with the surgeon.

• Thank you for your question about your liposuction.
  • This is not how it works for me. But it is how some surgeons do it.
  • A surgeon knows infinitely more than any consultant
  • I see all my patients and advise them in person.
  • Some surgeons do not do this. I suggest you find one who does.
  • Surgery requires doing the best for you - and if you just see a consultant, you aren't coming first with the practice.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction consultation

Thanks for your inquiry, in my office everyone meets with me at their initial consultation, but I have heard of doctors who do it differently.  I suggest you get a few opinions before booking surgery. Good Luck.  

Consultation process

Thank you for your question.  Although each office operates somewhat different, I think it is very important for the surgeon to meet with and assess each patient during the consultation process.  What's to say that you truly are not a candidate for surgery and they have you put a deposit down and go through the entire process just to learn that you are not a candidate or, even worse, you undergo an operation that is not in your best interest.  I suggest you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your options.  It is not just the amount of fat present but also the amount and quality of the overlying skin that needs to be assessed.  If something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.  Hope this helps!  

Consultation for Liposuction -- Meet with Physician

I suggest seeking a board certified cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a consultation regarding liposuction. It is standard in my practice to meet and assess all of my patients prior to any treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for your question. Every practice has their own way of executing things. In our office I personally see all patients during the consultation time.

Liposuction is a surgical procedure.  Each new patient is evaluated by me personally for liposuction.  This is not delegated to any staff.

Consultation for liposuction

Dear Jammie, This is unacceptable practice in my opinion. I have never scheduled nor would I ever take a deposit for  a surgery on a patient that I had not met, examined, and reviewed their medical history. You should seek a board certified plastic surgeon that meets with you, examines you to assure that is the correct procedure for you and makes a surgical plan with you. This really surprised me and frankly would never happen in my practice. Sounds like you are educated enough to know this is not normal, please seek another opinion. If that surgeon (was it a surgeon?) doesn't care enough to meet with you before hand then it leads me to believe the follow up care will also be compromised. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon