What are the chances of getting stretch marks with a breast augmentation?

I do have stretch marks on my knees, and very little on my inner thigh. Very light. However I'm 115 pounds, 5'7, I'm 20 years old. But I don't know if I get them because of weight fluctuations or what. And I'd like to know if I'd get them from breast augmentation I'm so worried

Stretch Marks

In my experience, stretch marks related to Breast Augmentation are not common, however if you know that your skin may be prone to them it could be a possibility for you. The size of implant you choose may be a factor. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns.

All the best

Chances of Stretch Marks After Breast Augmentation

Development of stretch marks following breast augmentation is rare. Of course, that doesn't mean that it can't happen, but it is not a high risk. What can increase the risk potential is if you are young, are on birth control pills, are prone to stretch marks already, and large increase in size (from A to DD for instance). Unfortunately, there is no way to predict this with accuracy.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks after BA

I have only seen this in 2 patients over the past 5 years. They were both young, very little breast tissue, very tight skin, and on birth control pills. One had a relatively small implant ~250 and one had a moderate sized implant ~400cc. The patient with the larger implant had more stretch marks. Based on this experience and literature review: 

- stop BCP if on them
- choose a smaller implant size, you can always go bigger later
- wait until you are older?

Although I have no evidence to support this, logically pre stretching the skin with brava device might help prevent this complication. 

Can breast augmentation give you stretch marks?

Thank you for your question. Getting stretch marks with breast augmentation is very rare. Most of the time stretch marks occur with weight fluctuation. It is very important to have a good assesment by your chosen surgeon to avoid this issue. Many surgeons use a proven formula based on measurements of the breasts and chest along with through discussions of patient's desires. Plastic surgeons are trained differently and have varying levels of experience and so the key is to work with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in breast augmentation.

Stretch Marks with a BA? Top five reasons you may get stretch marks after a breast augmentation

Top five reasons you may get stretch marks after a breast augmentation
Development of stria (stretch marks) after breast augmentation (B.A.) is very rare. Stria are cracks in the dermis of the skin with epidermal preservation. Stria are common during pregnancy, rapid growth, and some medications. Effective treatment of stria is limited to excision (e.g. a tummy tuck). Treatments with topicals and lasers are not very effective.
  1. The most common reason a patient may develop stria after BA is age. Younger patients are particularly prone to this complication. B.A. before age 20 has the highest rate of stria development. While still uncommon it may be a good idea to postpone the surgery until you are into your 20s.
  2. The second most common reason are the combination of young age with birth control medications. A majority of young patients that are on oral contraceptives develop stria. It is advisable to stop the pill a few months before the surgery and restart after the breast skin has completely relaxed and the implants have softened (usually a few months) Do use a barrier method,
  3. The third most common reason is a pregnancy immediately following your surgery. Your hormonal levels are significantly altered weakening all collagen bonds. This allows you belly to grow and your pelvis to relax, but it will have a devastating effect on the aesthetics of your new augmentation.
  4. Steroid medications such as prednisone and others are occasionally used in auto-immune diseases as well as inflammatory disorders. If these meds are needed immediately after your B.A. stria may develop
  5. Any of the above reasons coupled with very large augmentations can result in stretch marks. As the implant size becomes excessive the pressure on the skin becomes a formula for stria.
About 300,000 breast augmentations are performed in the US each year with only a tiny percentage on patients that meet the top five outlined above. With some common sense preventive measures most stria are avoidable. Most postop stria are not very noticeable, but if they can be prevented the results will be aesthetically preferred.

Max Gouverne, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Stretch Marks

Very rare to develop new stretch marks after breast augmentation.  Usually seen with weight fluctuations and pregnancies.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Thank you for your question.  In general, it's uncommon to get stretch marks after breast augmentation, especially if the appropriate size implants are chosen.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Stretch marks after implants

Thank you for your question.   It is rare to have new stretch marks from a breast augmentation.  If you have existing stretch marks they may appear larger due to the stretching of the skin.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Can breast implants cause stretch marks

I agree with the other doctor that it is not common for women to get stretch marks after breast augmentation, however I have seen a large handful in my practice.  There have been a few studies in our literature the latest which was about 2 years ago.  From that study, and others, we know there are several things that can combine to put a woman at higher risk.  One is mechanical (size of implants), another is hormonal (birth control pills or within 2 weeks of the next period seems to raise the risk) and the other is genetic (those with stretch marks other places had a higher risk).  Women who have not been pregnant were shown to be almost 15times more likely to get stretch marks than women who have had children.  The cause is still not entirely known, and that was only one study, but these can be things to consider. 

Eric Mariotti, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Stretch Marks After Breast Augmentation

It is rare to get stretch marks after breast augmentation. Genetics play a role in the development of stretch marks and teenagers often develop them when going through puberty secondary to hormonal spikes. This also can occur with pregnancy and breast feeding. If you are prone to stretch marks and decide to pursue breast augmentation, I would recommend that you stay within a reasonable size and not choose an implant that's too big. An excessively large implant will stretch your skin and increase your risk of stretch mark formation. Laser treatments and BBL (broad based light) are very helpful in minimizing the appearance of stretch marks if treated early and while they are still pink. Once they turn white, they are considered 'mature' and are harder to treat. I hope this helps and good luck on your journey!

Ashley Gordon, MD