Capsular contracture? (photos)

Ever since I came out of surgery both my breast did not look the same. My left breast had a lump along the bottom which my PS corrected in his office, but the right one looks firmer and rounder than the left he I pointed out at the last visit. He prescribed me Singulair, but his visits are so fast that he doesn't even explain what's wrong with my breasts!!! What should I do?

Capsular contracture?

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question and photos.  Capsular contracture within the first few weeks or months is really not a true entity.  Often times it may be due to inadequate release of the muscle if the implants are below the muscle or a difference in the pockets created for the implants.  If you are 6 months or greater, you can see early capsular contacture.  Whether it is true capsular contacture or implant malposition, a revision surgery is usually needed to re-position the implant.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Probably not a contracture this early

Thanks for your question and the photos. Without a preop photo it's hard to comment on post op asymmetries. Early on contracture is not seen. The more likely reason for the firmness is that the implant is just very large for the pocket and thus there is a lot of stretch right now. This should start to settle. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Capsular contracture

It is unclear how long ago your surgery was, but capsular contracture within the first year is unlikely.  It is diffcult to assess your current appearance without knowing what you looked like pre-operatively, but it seems that there was inadequate release along the right inframammary crease.  The smaller pocket will make the implant feel firmer.  At any rate, if you are unable to get a satisfactory explanation from your surgeon, I would seek a second opinion.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question.  Whether you have capsular contracture or not, if you are dissatisfied with your result and not content with your surgeon's explanation, you may seek out a second opinion.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

Determining whether or not you have a capsular contracture is something that is done through an in person evaluation.  The timing of how far out you are from surgery is also important.  If you are in the early stages after surgery your breasts may simply be healing at different rates.  If you are unsatisfied with your visits with your surgeon, I would seek a second opinion.

Camille Cash, MD

CC

Capsular Contracture is a condition in which the capsule surrounding the implant thickens and contracts, squeezing the implant making it overly firm or hard and often changing the shape and position of the implant. As the capsule contracts it moves the implant further up your chest wall making upper portion of your breast too large and unshapely. It is more far more common in nicotine users (e.g. smoking, vaping or nicotine gum or patches).

Capsular contracture?

A little more information would be helpful in making an evaluation. The time since surgery is important as changes in firmness can vary over the first few months to as long as a year. Capsular contractures (if you have one) can be treated by a variety of methods - Vitamin E therapy, massage, short term prednisone therapy, etc but the most important step is to try to determine a cause.

If you continue to be not happy with the answers you're getting, you can always get a second opinion from another plastic surgeon.

Capsular contracture does not emerge before 3 to 4 months.

The timeframe of the photograph is unclear to me. If your breasts are firm early after the operation this is not capsular contracture. If you're dissatisfied with the opinion of your surgeon it's always wise to get another opinion.

Capsular contraction?

In general the diagnosis of capsular contraction requires an in person evaluation.  You have some asymmetry of the breasts.  If you are unable to address your conners with your surgeon, you may seek a second opinion.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon