Is this bruising normal after BA? (Photo)

It's been 72 hours since I've had my BA. I feel a lot of tightening and pressure on my left side (where the bruise is) . I'm worried it could be a hematoma and that it can spread . Please help! I'm extremely worried.

The bruising can be normal after surgery.  It can be a reason for concern if the entire breast appears swollen and bruised.  This would indicate a possible hematoma. 

Breast Bruising

Yes...this amount of bruising can happen and is normal. Most often there is no bruising. However, this small amount can occur in individuals that bruise easily. The bruising itself is not really the issue. Where it may become a problem is if the bruising is associated with significant breast swelling. In that case, there could be bleeding around the implant creating a hematoma. This would require surgical drainage.

Bruising after breast augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry.  From just your picture it is hard to tell if you are having a problem.  You can get bruising but since you have pain, please discuss with your plastic surgeon and good luck.  

Small Hematoma

After breast augmentation the breasts swell from the trauma of surgery and the tissues become inflamed and edematous. In addition, the implant is putting pressure on the surrounding tissues. There are often sensations such as tightness, burning, sharpness, tearing, and pulling can come and go as the tissues heal and the swelling and inflammation subsides. These sensations are usually more intense or different on one side versus the other. Most often these sensations are due to irritation of nerves in the post-operative period and not any source of concern. You are correct, however, in that excessive tightness, bruising, or swelling may indicate a hematoma or other complication is developing. In your case, continued close follow-up with your surgeon is essential.

Is this bruising normal after BA?

Yes, bruising is common after breast surgery. If you are concerned you should follow up wit your chosen surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Bruising after breast augmentation

This discoloration probably represents a small amount of blood, that with gravity, has migrated down to the bottom of the pocket and now is seen just below the skin. As long as your breast don't become bigger one versus the other this is of no concern. This will heal uneventfully. Discuss with your plastic surgeon. Nothing to worry about.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is this bruising normal after BA?

It's not unusual to have some bruising around the incision 72 hours after breast augmentation.  If there are other signs like expanding fullness and size with asymmetry, notify your surgeon as that might signify a blood collection (hematoma) as a result of bleeding.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Bruising After BA

Thank you very much for your question.

Congratulations on your breast augmentation!  You may have just had a little bit of blood in the pocket that has settled after a few days.  It doesn't look like there is anything concerning.  If the bruising gets a lot worse or your breast size increases, I would contact your surgeon to discuss the issue.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Bruising after BA

Hi and thanks for your question and posted photo. This seems o be something local to the scar, some signs of alarm would be a big asimmetry or increasing and no stoping pain in a big and hard breast. 

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Should be ok. Normal bruising

Thanks for your question. It looks like you might have had a small amount of oozing that settled to the bottom. This is not uncommon. As long as the left side doesn't look a lot bigger it should be fine. Contact your surgeon to verify but I bet everything is just fine. Congratulations on your surgery

M. Scott Haydon, MD