When will my breasts soften and (please god hopefully) drop, after bilateral augmentation? (photos)

I am one week post opp from submuscular breast aug with 425cc silicone anotomical implants. It is my understanding that with such little (to no) breast tissue to begin with, softening and dropping of my new implants might take quite a while. Eager to hear professional opinions on if we're talking weeks, months, or years AND if any out there believe they may ultimately just stay tight and most full on top. Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts!

Hard breasts

Absolutely they will soften substantially in the first 3 months and further still by 6-9 months so patience is required at this stage

Implants dropping and softening

Thank you for your question.  It can take several weeks sometimes months for the implants to drop and soften.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

When will my breasts soften and (please god hopefully) drop, after bilateral augmentation?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks to months as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Usually, final results will be seen 4-6 months postop. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. It is not uncommon for one breast to settle more quickly than the other due to swelling, dissection, or muscle tightness. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down or implant exchange/revision. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Drop & Fluff

Thank you for your question and photos. I advise my patients that it will take between 2-6 months to see their final results. At one week you certainly have a ways to go. Try not to worry and re evaluate in a few months.

All the best 

Post BA breast position

Implants usually take 4-6 weeks to drop into appropriate position. You are still very early on in the healing process.  Breast massage, no under wire bras and time can enable the implants to drop into appropriate position.  However, you should follow up with your surgeon for exam and input in this regard.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Implant changes over time

Hello, implants often will drop and soften for at least several months after surgery.  I would suggest ongoing followup with your plastic surgeon to ensure the desired result is achieved.

1 week post op breast Aug

Thank you for your question. You are in very early phase of healing. It will continue to change in the coming several weeks. Please follow instructions from your PS

May not get a lot of change in implant position

Thanks for your question and the photos. Congratulations on your surgery. Looking at the preop photo you have a slightly constricted lower pole it appears. That makes it hard for the implant to settle as much as it normally would. The diameter of the implant is also fairly wide and so I think you will have some settling but my guess it that they won't drop a whole lot. I'm basing this off of my assessment of the photo and so take that for what it's worth. Your surgeon should be able to help set your expectations. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

One week after augmentation

You are soooo early, do not despair. It will take many months for you to appreciate your final result. Your implants may not change significantly in position because they are textured, but what will change is the swelling at the top that gives the illusion that your implants are too high. The anatomics were a nice choice for you in my opinion, they will just need some time.
Sincerely,

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery

At 1 week post op you have a ways to go for your final result. Results generally take longer in patients who have very little breast tissue, or have never had children, or haven't breastfed. Your photographs show you had very little breast tissue preoperatively.  Your implants will be high and firm early and will settle into place around 3 months and will continue to soften and become "jiggly" around 6-9 months. They may settle at different times as implants descend at different rates. Even at that point, changes take place. The lower pole continues to stretch to accommodate the implant. Breast displacement exercises help to assist the process. Patients who have less breast tissue tend to maintain there shape long term while patients who have more breast tissue are more prone to sagging long term. Hope this helps.