Looking into getting breast implants, and I have a few questions about implant sizes.

1) Is a 400cc medium profile implant (for example) broader/wider than a 400cc high profile implant? 2) I know the maximum size of implants are usually determined by how much tissue is available. But I'm curious, would it be a generally realistic expectation to achieve a DD implant, if not a large D on the first surgery? My chest is fairly broad - I'm 6"1 and 40B. 3) How likely is it that an implant large enough for me would be a (gummy bear) silicon implant instead of saline?

Yes moderate profile implants are wider than high profile.

You need an in person exam and breast measurments to properly size you for breast implants.

Generally speaking 150-200cc of implant will increase you by one cup size in the same style and manufacturer of bra that you currently wear.

For more information on sizing please read below:

Selection of best implant

Dear Ms. Kiara1986'

Thank you for your story and questions. Unfortunately without photos and a actual
exam I am limited (including measurements of your chest) And can only give you non specific but hopefully helpful comments.

Choosing the correct breast implant is a multifactoral depending on your anatomy, skin strech, desired look and size.

Breast size is a very personal choice and using a variety of techniques (some of which you may have completed) you can achieve the size and look you desire.

Unfortunately bra manufactures have not standardized cup sizes.

Breast implant manufactures have created a wide spectrum of implants based on a "cc" measuring system. Different base widths result in different projections for the same size of cc's. Different shapes are based on the cohesiveness of the internal gel.

My responses are:
1)sizing:
A)purchase several bras (full bodied and no padding) of the size you think you want to
be. As you realize there are no standard bra (strap/cup) sizes.
B)take a measuring cup (1 oz=30cc) place rice in a nylon
C) try on various volumes of rice with some form fitting clothes.

2)placement of implant:
Select several nude model photos of the goal breast shape you desire.
Placement decision of implant(subpectoral, dual plane, or suprapectoral) will be determined based on your anatomy If the implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle I usually add 10% volume to what the patient chooses.... to compensate for the muscle pressing down on the muscle and for the naturally settleing of the implant which often makes the breast appear smaller 2-3 months after surgery.

3)profile of implant:
A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
thus little affect on the perceptible final projection of your breasts.
C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
(a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm
area)

4)types of implants:
A) round
B) anatomical or shaped be (form stable)

5)there are four companies that produce breast implants:
-1) Mentor
-2) Allergan
-3) Sientra
-4) Ideal
1-2 =silicone fill comes from same factory
3 =silicone gel has highest cohesiveness (gummy bear) for round implants
1= only implants made in USA
1-2= make both silicone and normal saline filled implants
4= only makes normal saline filled implants
4 = has internal baffles in normal saline implant to give feel more like silicone fill
1-4 = all FDA approved, lifetime warranties
3-at present voluntarily suspended distribution
1-3 have capsular contracture warranty
1-3 have different profiles (for same volume different base widths) resulting in different projections.
1-3 have anatomical or shaped implants.
I personally use all four companies based on the above and the best "fit" for the patient.

I recommend that you
1) perform "rice in a nylon sizing"
2) make a list of questions to ask
3) select several nude photos of breasts you like/desire
5)armed with the (1-3) information make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and iCertified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

The difference between these implants have to do with the dimensions ( diameter and height) of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants.

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants ( all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.

I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Thank you for your questions.  With implants of the same cc size, the higher the profile (medium to high), the more narrow the implant, or in your question, yes you are correct, the medium is wider than the high.  If you are starting from a B-cup, a D or DD is likely possible with silicone implants, but because of the need to match certain breast parameters, it is difficult to make an exact size or profile recommendation.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon for consultation. 

Implant Size

Breast augmentation, like any aesthetic plastic surgery, is surgery that is individualized to the specific needs, goals, and desires of the individual.  There is no preset operation that works for everyone.  The questions that you have about the kind of implant, size of the implant, and how it is placed into the body really depends on many factors.  Some of these are the size of your breasts, size of your chest, your body frame, your specific lifestyle, and also your specific concerns.  My advice to you is to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area, so you can address these specific questions. 

As part of the consultation, be sure to share your specific goals and concerns about the operation and be candid about your desired outcome.  Also, if you would like to have a second opinion, then get a second opinion.  I think this can just give you additional information and helps to clarify what you want for yourself.  It might also help you determine which surgeon you have a good rapport with and with whom you feel comfortable doing your operation.  I hope this helps. 

Paul Fortes, MD

Breast Implant Size in Breast Augmentation: Individual choice

Breast implant sizing is a very individual choice, as the ultimate breast size after breast augmentation is directly proportional to the patients per-existing chest size, skin envelope, breast size, and height. A 400 cc breast implant will look larger on a 5 foot patient as compared to that of a 6'1" patient.
In general, one cup size is 150 to 200 cc, and if the patient is interested in going up 3 cup sizes, then a higher profile implant would likely be needed because it is a narrower implant that will effectively increase the volume and not over expand the outer border of the breast. A taller patient may benefit from a larger implant if a significant volume increase is desired. The implant volume is just a number, and the number does not translate to the individual patient.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Choosing the Right Implant Size

Thanks for your questions.
1. Yes a MP implant is wider than a HP for the same volume.

2. From the information you have given it is impossible to recommend an implant size.  I would recommend seeing a BCPS for a consultation and exam.  Someone with 3D imaging capability can help you see what the different size implants would look like on your body.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Looking into getting breast implants, and I have a few questions about implant sizes

Thank you for your question. Yes moderate profile implant is wider than high profile. It will be better examined in person as multiple factors involved in selecting the implant size. Consult with a board certified PS for evaluation

Breast implants and implant sizes

Your questions are very common ones regarding implants and the sizing. Medium profile implants are broader at the base than a high profile implant. All the implant companies have different measurements for their varying styles of implants, so your surgeon should be able to pick the appropriate implant based on your chest measurements. Many woman can achieve a DD cup size even being smaller than you are. Most of my patients are choosing silicone implants over saline implants since they look and feel more natural. And your reference to the "gummy bear" implant is a term that is loosely used to describe silicone implants. Initially the "gummy bear" implant was used to describe a denser silicone implant that is often used in reconstructive surgery. Now people use it to describe silicone implants in general. I hope that this helps. I would discuss the implant size with your surgeon, and spend time trying on a variety of sizes so you can see the difference.  Good luck with your decision!

Differences in Breast Implant Profiles

Yes, you are correct that a medium profile implant is a bit wider than a high profile implant. While it is possible to increase from a B to a D or even a DD cup, the best way to determine this is with an in-person consultation where you can try on sizers and discuss the options you have with the surgeon who can speak on the various experiences he has had with women with similar goals as yours. I feel that you would have a good selection of silicone gel implants in sizes that would work well for you.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon