Breast implants for a petite C cup female to change the shape.

am considering getting breast implants. I am 5 '1 and 110 pounds and a C cup. I am ok with the size of my breasts but the shape bothers me. My breasts are not full and they have a gap in the middle (they just have a lot of projection). 1. Is it possible to have fuller breasts with implants 2. Because I have alot of breast tissue to start with will I get a natural result with a good surgeon 3. At 19 yrs old is saline my only option (in the US) 4. If I don't like my implants what are my options

Breast Augmentation is a direct way to achieve upper pole fullness and cleavage enhancement

Dear Annie07,

Thanks for your question. Your focus is right-on, however without actual images I will discuss the topic in general terms.  Yes, you will achieve greater fullness with breast implants.  I am not sure what you are referring to as 'alot of breast tissue', if your breast tissue hangs over the inframamary fold onto your upper abdomen this is called ptosis.  If this is the case then a breast lift should be discussed along with your augmentation. In terms of a natural result, this is best defined by bringing in images representing your desired look to your consultation.  An experienced plastic surgeon should be able to achieve the result/look that you are describing.  As far as to your additional questions, these are best discussed depending on what is specific to your presentation, and the physical exam during a consultation with a surgeon.

I hope this helps,

Sergio P. Maggi, MD, FACS

drmaggi.com

Austin Plastic Surgery Center

Choosing a Breast Implant for Breast Augmentation

Choosing a breast implant for breast augmentation is a very individual process. Your goals should be discussed with a proper evaluation of the chest, breast shape and tissue. With this implant sizing could be determined and then translated into a simulation to show you what a breast augmentation will look like. This can be delivered reliably in the majority of breast augmentation, though you may have congenital lower pole constriction which may need to be released to widen and accommodate for the breast implant.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Highly cohesive silicone gel implant is still your best recommended option

Refer to your questions, my answer would be:

1.    Breast Implant would give you a fuller breast with fuller cleavage

2.    The most important factor that you would consider for getting a breast implant is selecting a high qualified surgeon.  Second but not less important factor is a good and certified hospital.

3.    According to the law of Kingdom of Thailand, a person(s) over 18 years has his/her own right to make a decision on his/her surgery.

4.    Saline is not famous nowadays as it has a chance of leaking and the saline bag can be misshaped. Your best option is a highly cohesive silicone gel implant. The implant is made of semi-liquid substance with a silicone shell, thus it is less likely to leak and be misshaped.  

Breast implants petite c cup

Thank you for your question. Without seeing any pictures or any of your specific breast dimensions, it's impossible for me to give you any specific implant recommendations. Your breasts can definitely become fuller with implants. To get natural looking breasts, make sure your surgeon picks the correct implant which "fits" your breast anatomy and get you to your desired goal.   Even though you're 19, you can still have silicone breast implants.  Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Therefore, I find that I DO use silicone gel breast implants for patients under the age of 22 frequently.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” to "too big on me" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Implant for a petite breast in a 19 year old woman.

Hi annie

The silicone implant is supposed to be placed in patients 22 years and older.  Not to worry, a saline implant can give an excellent result too!

Without an exam or pics, my recommendations and musings are not reliable.  That said, if you want fullness rather than big size and lots of projection, I would suggest you consider low profile saline implants (see for example the Inamed style 10 smooth wall implant in their online catalogue).

Based on your description, I am concerned that you may have a tuberous or constricted breast deformity, but without pics, I can't say for sure.

Best of luck to you young lady.

Sek

What size should you get?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Breast Augmentation

These are all intelligent questions and demonstrate an appropriate level of thoughtfulness prior to undergoing an elective operation. They are best answered by having a conversation with a well-trained plastic surgeon after having undergone an appropriate physical exam. That being said, here are some generalized answers to your questions:

1. It is definitely possible to have "fuller" breasts with implants. Fuller can have different meanings to different people. Depending on the type of implant selected, larger implants can be used to increase the global volume of a breast (increasing width, upper pole fullness, projection, etc). A smaller, lower profile implant may be used to increase what is referred to as "upper pole fullness" while minimizing the effect on anterior projection. While this would increase the overall volume of the breast, its main objective is to create more of that upper curvature in the breast. Also, breast augmentation is like holding a magnifying glass over your existing breasts. It does not move nipples closer together and it does not change the distance between your breasts to a significant degree.

2. This would be easier to answer with a physical exam. Generally, if you have a lot of native breast tissue, you will likely have less potential for some of the down sides to breast implants: eg visible rippling, palpability.

3. In the U.S., silicone gel implants are FDA approved for patients who are 22 years of age or older. There are pros and cons to both silicone and saline implants. I personally prefer silicone implants for most patients. They are softer, feel more natural, and have less visible rippling. However, for patients who are naturally larger with a lot of breast tissue and are looking only for an increase in upper pole volume, I am more inclined to use a saline implant due to the fact that they are less likely to be able to feel the implant through their natural breast tissue. You will also save some money because they are cheaper than silicone.

4. Managing your implants if you do not like them will depend upon your own breast tissue, the timing of your dissatisfaction, and the size of the implant chosen. If it is soon after your surgery and you do not have a great deal of ptosis (breast sagging), you will likely be able to undergo removal of your implant with minimal changes in shape (depending on the size of your selected implant). However, it is important to note that once surgery has been performed the tissue is forever changed, meaning scar has been created (both the incision you see and the tissue that has been dissected underneath). If you decided 10-20 yrs later that you would like to have your implants removed, you may have experienced more sagging and stretching of your native breast tissue and skin from the weight of the implant.

I recommend that you keep these things in your mind while considering breast surgery:

1. What are your specific goals for undergoing surgery?

2. Can your surgeon articulate back to you exactly what your are looking for?

3. Does your surgeon have adequate/appropriate training, credentials, and hospital privileges to perform these surgeries (and manage their possible complications)?

4. Do you and your surgeon "click?"

5. Am I willing to accept one of the more common possible complications of the surgery if it were to occur? 

6. Take your time with your decision. There should never be a rush to get an elective operation.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision moving forward.

Joseph Brown, MD
Tampa Physician

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation

Without a physical exam and pictures it is difficult to guide you properly. The addition of implant volume can make the appearance of the breast more full. It will also highlight differences.  I prefer to use 3D imaging to help give you a visual representation for your reference.