Can Botox lower my upper lip?

My teeth show a lot when my face is resting and I'm assuming it is because I have a very short philtrum. Because of this, I have to force close my mouth shut which puts indents in my chin from straining. I feel as if my top lip was lowered I can close my mouth comfortably and my teeth won't show while my face is resting.

Be very conservative in using Botox around the mouth

I would recommend being very conservative and going to an experienced injector who maps the area.  But that being said, yes, Botox can be very effective.

Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Toothy show or Gummy smile

Dear aleyzallazaro:

Think of the muscles around the mouth as a hub with spokes. The hub muscles constrict the mouth into an "O" and the spoke muscles pull upward, sideward or downward from the facial skeleton to the skin. Oral expression then is an orchestra full of variation to provide expression ,sounds and lip/mouth closure.

An easy way to lower a "gummy smile" or over exaggerated incisor show maybe lowered by properly injecting Botox into those muscles above the lip creating relaxation in the upper lip and allowing it to descend. Improper injection and you may drool or the tip of your nose will lift or you will smile without upper lip movement so consult with a very knowledgeable and skilled and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon injector.

You may have a very "tall" maxilla or upper jaw causing the lips to mis-match and strain to close your lips. For this problem, consult with a very skilled orthognathic surgeon otherwise known as a Oral Surgeon to take measurements and make his or her recommendations.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Gummy smile injection to lower upper lip

Yes this can be done by the experienced injector. It requires injection into the levator labii superioris alaeque nasi muscle. A couple units each side usually works.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for gummy smile

When used by an expert injector, botox can be effectively used to address gummy smile (that exposes excessive gingival area as the upper lip is raised).  This might be an appropriate solution for yourself but of course a proper consultation would be necessary. Good luck! 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Botox can help the appearance of an upper lip and a "gummy smile". To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox for the Upper Lip: Treatment for the Gummy Smile

Botox is a neuromodulator which can be injected into or near the target muscle. Botox can be injected into the upper lip, more commonly for vertical lines but can be injected into the base of the nose to help with a "gummy smile". The cause of the "gummy smile" is usually secondary to the jaw bones, and orthodontics could help, but orthognathic surgery may be necessary. Botox is definitely easier though requires injections every 3 to 4 months. Releasing the muscle that elevates the lip can be done through the mouth, which may be another option.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Botox can be used to lengthen upper lip and reduce gummy smile.
Please make sure that you see an expert doctor who has experience with botox lip injections.
Best regards and I hope that helps, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Can FIx a Gummy SMile

Excessive gummy show when smiling is a common cosmetic concern. By relaxing the levator labii superioris alaeque nasi muscle that pulls up and retracts the top lip when we smile, Botox can easily fix this problem. You should not need to strain as much, and thereby alleviate the indentation on your chin.

Check out: sanovadermatology.com/botox/can-botox-fix-a-gummy-smile/

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Gummy Smile and Botox To Lower Upper Lip When Smiling

this can be done and should be done by someone very experienced. it often takes a few small dose treatments to get this perfect.  I suggest seeing only an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Gummy smile

Yes. Gummy smile can be improved with Botox injections. It will require that you consult with an expert physician injector since this type of injection is more challenging.

Hoep this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon