Am I a candidate for chin/neck liposuction? How much of a difference would it make? (photo)

Liposuction of the Chin and Neck

It appears this may be a beneficial procedure to help contour the neck and remove the under chin bulge. There may be a some non-invasive options to try prior to liposuction which could in Kybella or CoolSculpting. This are in-office and non-invasive options for submental fat. A consult would be the first place to start and see if you would be a candidate for any of these treatments.

Candidate for neck liposuction

Submental fullness in a young female can be treated with neck liposuction. Other alternatives are Kybella, an injectable acid that dissolves the fat. I would schedule a consult with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for chin/neck liposuction? How much of a difference would it make?

Hello rachelhenn - Thanks for your question. Without seeing you in person to feel how much fat you have under your chin my next statement is an opinion. I think you would love how great you look after submental liposuction with VASER or Smartlipo. Both techniques optimize the destruction of fat prior to liposuction and potentially tighten loose skin. Consult with a facial liposuction specialist in your area for more information. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

how much of a difference would chin and neck liposuction make?

From the one limited photograph, it appears that there is a small amount of fat deposits located in the neck. Liposuction can accomplish removal of  the fatty deposits in the neck. Surgery is required to remove any fatty deposits underneath the platysma muscle when present. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Chin Liposuction Candidate--Vaser, ThermiRF, ultrasound

You look like you would be a candidate, but I recommend a formal evaluation. I find that VASER liposuction in combination with ThermiRF or ultrasound are best for contouring the chin in those who are candidates but Kybella can be used as an alternative. See an expert. Best. Dr. Emer

Chin sculpting

Yes. You are a good candidate for Chin liposuction. The submental fat pad will be reduced. It will sharper the front part of your neck. Most surgeons would also liposuction the area of the jaw and neck at the same time which will give you a sharper more defined jaw. Most surgeons will have pre and post op photos on the web site to get your results. 

The alternative is Kybella. The verdict is still out on Kybella. In  my  hands the results are better with liposuction with similar down times. 

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is a slight "double chin".  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  The fat can be removed with liposuction, however this alone would "not" provide the harmony and balance to the lower face that a chin implant would offer.

Hope this helps.

Chin and neck liposuction

Most young people who are not overweight and have a double chin have an inbalance in their facial skeletal structure.

This appears to be someone at the case with you.

Your jaw bone or mandible does not project as well compared to your midface or maxilla in order to get the best profile.

This lack of projection of your mandible allows the skin, Patys my muscles to sag and creating fullness and your chin and neck.

For people with this condition will have fat some improvements can always be had with liposuction.

For people with this imbalance Who have thin layers of fat liposuction it will not produce significant results.

Sometimes the best results are achieved with a chin implant combined with liposuction.

Sometimes a chin implant alone will give it the best results and sometimes liposuction can help.

In your case liposuction may give a nice result though the combination of adding a chin implant, and sliding genioplasty or mandibular advancement may give the best results.

Some people who have this profile also have an overbite and adjustment of dental occlusion can help.

To get an accurate assessment I suggest having one or more consultations with board-certified plastic surgeon's.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Hello Rachelhenn,

Based on your picture it looks like you have a very small amount of submental fat.  You also look to be on the younger side.  This means you would likely be a candidate for both chin liposuction alone since your skin should have sufficient elasticity or Kybella.  Kybella is a series of injections done in the office that dissolves fat. 

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to learn about the two options and see what works better for you.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon