5 weeks after surgery sutures and swelling. Any suggestions? (photos)

At this point I thought I would have began to see my final results. I still have many sutures left near my clitorios and what I would like to think is swelling. Is it normal to still have this many stitches? Am I still really swollen? wondering if not enough skin was removed

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition and to remove the residual sutures.  

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

See your surgeon

Some of your sutures appears to be "spitting." This can happen with older generation dissolvable sutures more commonly than the more recent types. See your surgeon for his or her preferred management.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Have your sutures removed

Thank you for your question.  From your photos, it appears as if you may be having residual swelling due to persistent sutures.  See your original surgeon.  He may need to remove those sutures and then you should have a better idea as to what your final cosmetic result will be.  Hope this helps!  ~Dr. Williams

5 weeks after surgery sutures and swelling.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs. It appears that you had a trim labiaplasty performed with repair using long-acting sutures.  At 5 weeks if they are causing you irritation I would recommend having your surgeon remove them as you have largely healed.  It is difficult to assess your results without pre-surgery pictures, but if any functional issues have resolved, and you are pleased with your cosmesis, that is all that matters. 

It's 5 weeks and my stitched haven't dissolved..!

The sutures you had were either 3-0 or 4-0 Vicryl, which take ~ 4-6 weeks to dissolve & release. So long as they remain undissolved, you will continue to have an inflamatory response & swelling. The appearance will change within 2-4 weeks of final dissolution of sutures; you'll be better able to evaluate your results at that time, although "final" results won't be evident untio 3-6 months post-op.

Very Best,

Michael P Goodman MD

Persistent swelling due to sutures

You're almost finished with healing and swelling is worsened by the remaining sutures. At your follow up appointment you can ask to have these removed.
Once all swelling is gone you can then determine how much asymmetry remains. Are you much better than before? Is there more skin that you want reduce? You'll have to have this discussion with your surgeon and decide if its worth another recovery.
I'd ignore the arrogant doctor from Orlando. I think you'll be happy in the end.
Best of luck

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist