How long does it take until kybella shows a difference? How many treatments would it take?

i'm 9 days out on getting first round of kybella injections to buccal fat pads (fat lower cheeks, next to mouth area) swelling was almost normal at day 6 now i'm not sure if i'm still swollen or if its going to take 2 treatments to see any difference? in your experience do people see any change with the first round?

Kybella sessions

Thank you for your question. Most people begin to see results 4-6 weeks post treatment. However, you need at least 2 to 3 sessions for optimal results. 

Thank you for your question in regards to Kybella.
To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Kybella not approved to treat Buccal fat pads

Kybella is not approved to treat the buccal fat pads. In fact, it is only FDA approved to treat the submental area(under the chin). When I treat the submental region, I always tell my patients that it will take at least 2-3 treatments before they start appreciating any noticeable results. Be cautious about doing this treatment in off label areas as it has not been studied and you are at risk for increased complications. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Buccal fat Pads

At this point in time Kybella is NOT approved to inject into the buccal fat pads. Because it will affect fat, muscles and even nerves, it is approved for treatment of the superficial fat under the chin. Swelling under the chin can last fro a couple of weeks. Most people begin to notice some improvement after a few weeks, with results improving up to several months.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. The plan of treatment will be discussed during consultation. During consultation, you and your provider will discuss the number of Kybella treatments, goals and expectations, and post-treatment care. Two to four treatments are recommended for optimal results.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Treatment of the Buccal fat pad is off-label, therefore we do not have studies to refer to for answers to your questions.  This being said, when treating the submental fat pad results after a session can take eight weeks to be seen.  Also, full results usually take between two and four sessions.  It is possible that the Buccal fat pad will react in a similar fashion.  You should go back to your injector for an evaluation if you have any questions.

Kybella and Number of Treatments

It generally takes two or four treatments to have Kybella dissolve the submental fat.  However, the area of buccal fat is "off label" and the studies have not been completed.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella Swelling -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

It takes at least 3-6 treatments to see a formal result that is close to optimal .  I suggest seeing an expert and continuing treatments if you are not considering surgery.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella results

Kybella is a great new non-surgical treatment to get rid of that unwanted fat under the chin (or double chin). In my practice we have seen everyone react slightly differently to their Kybella treatments, in terms of swelling and seeing the results. Some people have minimal swelling for just a few days, while others experience more drastic swelling for up to 7 days. In terms of results, this again is different for every patient. Some patients may see results after just 1 treatment, but most need 2 treatments to see results. However, it can take up to 3 or 4 treatments if you have more fat accumulation. At 6 days post Kybella, you are probably still swollen, so you need to wait about another 4 weeks for the Kybella to kick in fully to see your results. At that point you can determine if you need another treatment or not. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Although Kybella is not FDA-approved for buccal fat pads, physicians can inject it off label for non FDA approved uses. It often takes 3 to 4 weeks to see the final result of a treatment and usually takes 2 to 3 treatments for maximal effect when injected into the submental fat. The buccal fat pad injections may be different, but there have not been any studies done on injections into this area.