What is the best procedure for me for optimum result? Lower cheek/jawline area? (Photo)

I like a defined jaw line but I dont want to loose fat on my cheeks (middle and upper) -a board certificate and head (chairman) of plastic surgery in a very big well known hospital told me I should go for double chin Lipo only -another DR told me I should get Kybella injected in the jawline/lowercheek area -another dr told I should get lower cheeks/double chin smart lipo am confused what treatment option I should go for I would really appreciate the help Thank you in advance

A customized approach with a balanced consultation

Thanks for your question! There's a saying, 'If you only use a hammer everything will look like a nail.'  I think the amount of fat you have pictured is minimal and at first blush I'd say you'd benefit from a less invasive options (ie injections or a device) as a consideration first over surgery/liposuction, but I strongly suggest you consult with a physician who has a broad range of treatment options available to use, someone who's experienced with lipo, laser/light/energy devices, and Kybella  - yes they're out there. Therefore, the approach will be customized, the discussion will be balanced, and perhaps that would give you an opportunity to combine treatments.  Just a note about your photos - you have minimal fat under your chin and it appears your concern is more towards the lower face/angle of the jaw; I can't speak to performing liposuction over those areas, but Kybella is indicated for the under chin or submental area only.  Good luck, Doc Adam

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella

Personally, I always think it's best to start with the least invasive procedure. The fat that is bothering you is not severe. I would start with Kybella. It will take a least 2 sessions to see a difference. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with Kybella to get assessed in person. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options for the double chin

Thank you for your question idontwantn. The double chin is a common concern. Causes include age, weight, and genetics. There are multiple treatment options to address t he double chin and decreased jawline definition. These include surgical options and non-surgical options. The most common non-surgical options include Kybella, Ultherapy, and Cool Sculpting. Often times combination therapy provides better results. The biggest decision my patients make is whether they want surgery or not. Once this is decided, the various options can be considered. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck.

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Fat Destruction and Skin Tightening

When injected into the fat under your chin, KYBELLA® causes the destruction of fat cells
TruSculpt is an energy-based device that delivers controlled heat into the deep subcutaneous layers of the tissue at the same time that radio frequency targets the fat to destroy, firm and smooth the surrounding area.
Perhaps a combination of treatments such as these will permit you to treat the areas within the designated margin of safety.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

What is the best procedure for me for optimum result? Lower cheek/jawline area?

Hello idontwantn,

There is an old saying ask two physicians a question and you will get three different responses.  Each one of the options you have been recommended to undergo would improve your area of concern.  Certain procedures/treatments are offered by certain people and so that will be recommended.  Since your areas of concerns are your lower cheeks and neck, I will mention several options available for those areas:

Liposuction is designed to physically remove the fat through well placed, camouflaged incisions.  In patients under age 35 the skin will have enough elasticity to tighten back up and not need any further treatment.  This is useful for both the lower cheeks and the neck area.  

Kybella is an injection of a material that dissolves fat.  It is performed in the office in about 15 minutes.  It usually takes at least 2 and up to 4 treatments with swelling after each treatment that improves in a few days.  It is only approved for the double chin area, so use in the cheeks is considered off label use and so you should know the risks of treating in these non approved areas prior to your physician injecting. 

SmartLipo will use an approach just like regular liposuction but instead of using a device that suctions and removes the fat, it uses lasers to dissolve the fat.  The proposed added benefit over traditional liposuction is that it leads to better skin tightening, but I will leave that to you and your provider if you feel that it does that.  The machine is much more expensive than a standard liposuction device and your charges may then reflect that.  It may have less bruising than standard liposuction as well.  

CoolSculpting is another fat removal device.  It uses a suction followed by the application of cold temperatures to kill the fat cells over 35 minutes (or an hour if the old hand pieces are being used).  This does not use any injections or incisions compared to the other treatment options above.  

As far as what you should choose, that is a decision you should make with the guidance of a facial plastic or plastic surgeon.  In the right hands and for the right patient, these can call be good treatment options.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Your photos tell me that you are a great candidate for Kybella.  Kybella is an injection that helps to dissolve the double-chin fat.  It will not affect fat in other parts, such as your face.  Be well-

Estee Williams, MD

Kybella and Jawline

From your photos I would recommend a combination of Kybella and Thermage to tighten the jowls and remove the submental fat.  It does not appear that you need surgery.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella helps define the jawline

Thank you for your question. Kybella and SmartLipo would both work to help you define the jawline. However, Kybella would be a smaller procedure and require no downtime. At my practice our patients have been very pleased with the results of Kybella to help reduce chin fullness. The great thing about Kybella is you do not have to have very much chin fat to treat the area as it is an injectable product. Most patients require at least 2-4 sessions for optimal results. Kybella permanently destroys fat cells in the targeted area as well as offering limited skin tightening to the treated area. If you are interested please see a qualified physician. Best of luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD