is my nose considered bulbous/do I need to reduce my columella show to reduce my overly large nostril size? (Photos)

I'm 19 years old. I am really not a fan of my nose. I find it to be too long/wide for my liking. Yes, I understand seeing a doctor in person is best, but this is my only option at the moment. I would like to know if a professional (based on my appearance) would recommend a rhinoplasty. This is a major insecurity of mine.

Bulbous nasal tip

Thank you for your question. First of all, it is important when looking for a plastic surgeon for a Rhinoplasty to make sure the surgeon is board certified and specialized in Rhinoplasty to obtain the best results possible.  To fully evaluate a bulbous nasal tip, a frontal view is best. However, from what I can tell, it appears your tip is enlarged and bulbous. You would benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. 
I would encourage you to submit frontal photos.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Other views are helpful to properly evaluate your nose including full frontal and worm's eye views. Best of luck.

Thanks for your question. A rhinoplasty can be performed to 1) decrease the amount your nose sticks out (ie projection). 2) Decrease nostril length and make the nose look smaller. 3) Narrow the nose 4) Conservatively reduce a small dorsal hump. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction and decreasing the overall length of your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, reducing the bulbous tip and reducing the hanging columella, with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. When patients have wide nostrils, an alar-plasty can accomplish narrowing them.  Digital computer imaging can be performed either online or in the office setting to get an idea of what can be accomplished with the procedure. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Is My Nose Bulbous?

These pictures do not show a bulbous nose but a frontal and base view of your nose would be helpful. A subtle reduction of your profile and slight elevation of your  hanging columella should be considered.

A rhinoplasty to reduce your dorsum slightly and place an alar rim graft to slightly reduce your nostril size would be nice.  I would not reduce your columellar projection as this is not excessive.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Reducing the columella show and the bulbous tip

It is hard to judge just about a bulbous tip and the large nostrils from the profile view. Can you post or e-mail your front view picture in repose and while smiling? 

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon