Is it normal to use a drill on a new crown to get the bite to fit?

the new crown was ground down to get the bite to fit right. the crown was on front tooth number 9. Now after he drilled the crown to get the fit right, the metal base is exposed in the middle of the tooth on the backside of the front crown, is this normal

#Crown adjustment needed exposing metal #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
It is not uncommon to need an adjustment after having a crown placed. In your case, an adjustment was needed and the metal on your porcelain fused to metal crown is now exposed.  This, in itself, should not cause a problem. If you are unhappy with the metal show through, I would recommend speaking with your dentist about this issue. One option would be to remove the crown, prepare the tooth more, take a new impression, and have a new crown made. I never recommend using PFM for an anterior crown. All porcelain crowns are the best aesthetic option for front teeth.  I use both Empress and Emax for my patients.  Both are durable and look very natural. It's always important to look at before and after photos when selecting a dentist. This will give you a pretty good indication of what you can expect. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions. 

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100