I am an obese 25 year old woman. I weigh around close to 500 pounds. Can I get liposuction done?

and if so how much do I have to weigh in order to get a surgery done?

Morbid obesity and liposuction

You have to acknowledge you are not a candidate for Plastic Surgery just because of safety, specially because you are very young.
In order to have a safe procedure your BMI must be under 30.
Also you have to acknowledge there is a limit on amount of fat to get removed, and that is about 6-10 pounds of fat, so if you really want a significant difference on result, you weight must be closer to the ideal, otherwise, 6-10 pounds will not be worth  the risk.

You may consider doing a Bariatric procedure instead and then once you have lost the weight, you will be a perfect candidate for the Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Cardenas

How much do I have to weigh for liposuction.

Liposuction is a contouring procedure and a very poor solution to control weight. We suggest that you be near your ideal body weight, and preferably a BMI below 30 for appreciable and safe results.

Obesity and liposuction

The purpose of liposuction is body contouring. It removes very little in the way of weight. Unfortunately, you are not a candidate whatsoever but should pursue a weight loss program perhaps including bariatric surgery.

Liposuction for obese woman

Thanks for your question. This is not an infrequently asked question. To achieve your goal of improved body contour, you will need to lose a lot of weight. This cannot be achieved by liposuction. I think you are likely to be a good candidate for bariatric surgery which will help you lose weight and improve your health as well as self-confidence. Once you are close to ideal body weight, you will most likely need plastic surgery for removal of loose skin. At that time any necessary liposuciion could be incorporated into the procedure. You will need to consult with a plastic surgeon who performs post-bariatric plastic surgery.

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate and Weight Loss

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool, it can be used once you have had weight loss and would like fine contouring. I suggest you see a weight loss expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Yes, you can have liposuction done but it will not help. Instead, ask your primary care doctor about a referrla to a bariatric surgeon (surgery for weight loss). 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Liposuction

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your concerns.  Liposuction is designed for body contouring and is not a treatment for weight loss. You may benefit from speaking to your physician about a weight loss method ideal for you.

Dr. Leonard Lu

Leonard Lu, MD

Obesity and liposuction

Localized liposuction under local is a possibility. I would need to see which areas are of most concern. I would not recommend general anesthesia.   Morbid obesity is not an absolute contraindication 

Christopher Johnson, MD, MSc, FACS

I am an obese 25 year old woman. I weigh around close to 500 pounds.

It is a popular misconception that liposuction can be helpful to overweight patients. Nothing could be further from the truth. A massive liposuction would be about 10 #. The only surgery you should be considering is bariatric surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD