Do you have to take antibiotics with a mommy makeover?

I have had seven babies and wanting a mommy makeover to get my body back. But am not able to take antibiotics due to previous health issues. Are antibiotics a given?

Antibiotics

Typically prophylactic antibiotics are given. I would talk to your surgeon about your medical condition. Depending on your condition your doctor may ask for medical clearance. 

Best of luck to you!

Reading Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics are usually recommended with Mommy Makeover

Hi there-

As Dr. Casas describes, giving patients who are having (especially longer) procedures antibiotics to prevent infection is so commonly recommended as to be "standard of care" in most communities. This is not to say that your operation could not be safely performed without them, just that this would represent a deviation from what most surgeon would usually do. Because it sounds like there are known reasons why you may be better off without them, I would discuss this with both a well-qualified and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and with the doctor who has told you that antibiotics are bad for you. The three of you should be able to come up with a plan.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover and antibiotics?

Usually for an operation of this magnitude, prophylactic antibiotics are administered by vein just before the operation starts. A dose may be re-administered during the operation if it lasts more than 4 hours. Plan to discuss your concerns about antibiotics with your plastic surgeon. There are many different classes of drugs that are used. It is likely that one of them will suit your needs and respect any allergy or drug intolerance that you may have developed. If necessary, allergy testing can be performed by an allergy specialist to be sure that you must avoid a certain antibiotic.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon

DrDerby

Thank you for your question. Antibiotics are a normal part of the post operative process , it is importan to discuss this with your surgeon and see what he recommends. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Antibiotics and cosmetic surgery

The standard in cosmetic body contouring procedures is a peri-operative dose of antibiotics - this is given during the surgical procedure. Some surgeons place patients on post operative antibiotics, but this practice is not necessarily supported by clinical data at this time.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Antibiotics and Tummy Tucks

For an otherwise healthy patient,  most surgeons will give antibiotics through the IV just before, and during the operation.  A few will prescribe oral antibiotics after surgery.  You need to discuss your health issues with your surgeon at your initial consult to decide exactly what role antibiotics would play in your tummy tuck.

Robert C. Bledsoe, Jr., MD
Grapevine Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective pre-op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Mommy make-over and antibiotics

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• No, anti-biotics are not a 'must' but they do give you considerable protection against infection.
  • There are many different kinds of antibiotics -
  • You usually need only one dose, right before surgery.
  • Tell your plastic surgeon of your previous health issues to find out if there is an antibiotic that is safe for you.
  • If you had a C. diff. infection causing you to not be able to take antibiotics, your surgeon should talk to the specialist who treated you before giving you any antibiotics.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Not necessarily. It really depends on the surgeon and his/her typical way of doing things. This is something to discuss during your surgery consultation. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Should be able to find antibiotics that will work with your health condition

It is considered the best standard of care to use antibiotics when performing most surgeries, including plastic surgery, because they have been shown to reduce the chance of post-operative infections and other problems. I understand that while you may have had problems with antibiotics in the past, you should be able to find an antibiotic that will work with your individual biology and also help decrease your chance for an infection postoperatively. Please keep an open line of communication with your surgeon, so he can help with your concerns and ensure the best outcome of any surgery.

Greg Bancroft, MD, PhD
Texas Plastic Surgeon