Hematoma or normal bruising? (Photo)

I am 3 days post op from a full TT, with lipo on flanks and muscle repair. Is this normal bruising or possibly a hematoma?

Bruise versus Hematoma

If you are referring to the patch of skin to the left of your belly button, I think that is just a bruise and likely nothing to worry about.  A hematoma would be a collection of blood between your abdominal wall and the abdominal flap (the skin and fat that was stretched down over the abdominal wall).  That being said, a hematoma is very difficult to diagnosis with a single picture and no in-person exam because.  It can't be seen on the surface, and the surface is all that a photo allows me to see.  So, again, if it is only the patch of skin discoloration that is concerning to you, then I think it is just a bruise and would simply keep an eye on it.  If you are experiencing swelling or feel as though there is a collection of fluid under the skin, please see your surgeon so that he or she may examine the area and determine if a hematoma or seroma is present.

3 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point, 3 days post op, the swelling and bruising are normal. 
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Hematoma or normal bruising?

Thank you for your question. It appears like a bruise. But in person exam needed to exclude hematoma. Pl talk to your PS

Hematoma or normal bruising

Hi, Brix1234
Based on your photo, you seem to have bruising.
However, it would be best to follow up with your plastic surgeon to be evaluated in-person.

Sweeling or hematome

From what I can see on your photos all looks well.Since you are only 3 days post op swelling is normal.Wear your binder and relax.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Probably Bruising

The small area near your bellybutton is probably just a bruise.

A hematoma is often characterized by a significant swelling in the abdomen, and sometimes bleeding through the incisions.  if you have had a significant change in swelling, see your plastic surgeon. 

There is definitely bruising and this can be superimposed on a hematoma.  If the swelling is getting worse hour by hour it is more likely the latter.  If it is stable then any modest fluid and blood collection can resolve over time.  In any case definitely reach out to your plastic surgeon so he or she can examine you

John Y.S. Kim, MD, FACS

Hematoma or normal bruising?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  It appears that the yellow/green area of your stomach is normal bruising, but the darker purple area is a bit more difficult to ascertain without an in-person examination.  It is likely bruising but if you have noticed any increased swelling in this area, or that the bruising is getting worse, best to see your surgeon for an evaluation

Bruising or hematoma

Looks like s bruise but your surgeon needs to examine you and confirm that. It will take a few months to reach your final result.

It is not possible to say from pictures only. You should get in touch with your surgeon to be seen in person.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon