Would a chin implant be suitable for me? (Photo)

I am a 21 year old female and I do not like my profile or how weak my chin looks from a frontal view either. What would be the best options for me as far as having a well balanced face?

Would a chin implant be suitable for me?

Dear vnessa1994

You would benefit from a more projected chin. A chin implant will safely give you a moderate improvement. Be careful as a large implant in you case will also have a higher likelihood of extrusion based on your mandibular height.
Your other option is a genioplasty. Your own bone is advanced and secured. Its a larger and more involved procedure but will give you a significant advancement with long term stability.

If you are willing to settle for a good improvement because you want simple, relatively inexpensive and fast procedure go with implant. If you want significant advancement and willing to have major procedure, sliding genioplasty.
See more than one surgeon in consultation and make a well informed decision.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

Dear vnessa1994,
There is no question that you would get an excellent result with a chin implant. I personally prefer to put in silicone chin implants via a chin crease incision. There are many different sizes and styles of implants. However, an extended anatomical chin implant of at least medium size would appear appropriate in you.
Dr Nettle

Chin Implant

yes yes yes. These are wonderful enhancements that last forever or are removable. It is an office procedure done with light sedation. Most recover within a few days.
Good luck

Smythe Rich, MD
Columbia, SC

J. Smythe Rich, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weak chin

You are every plastic surgeons dream patient.
  You have big eyes and are very pretty except for one easily fixable concern.....Your weak chin.
  I put in chin implants, specifically ordered for each individual patient, with simple local anesthesia in my office operating room in 30 minutes.
  The operation is 100% safe, easy and except for a few needle sticks completely painless.. Sutures are removed at 1 week and then for the rest of your life you will have a beautiful profile. I have done over 1000 chin implants in the past 25 years and they are one of the most gratifying procedures I do. There is almost no chance of complication with this procedure under local anesthesia.
  We have a video imaging machine which can let you see the result before surgery, and books and books of before and after patient results.

Chin Implant for Me?

In reviewing your pictures, the chin is weak on the profile. A proportional chin can improve facial balance and proportion from the profile and frontal view. Patients have 3 options to augment the chin.

Option 1- Chin Implant
The chin can be effectively and easily augmented with a chin implant surgery. The surgery is quick and can be completed while the patient is awake. The recovery is rather quick.

Option 2- Non-Surgical Chin Augmentation
The chin can be effectively augmented using non-surgical techniques by injections with facial fillers. Any type of filler can be used including Perlane, Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiasse. The results are immediate but temporary. This would have to be repeated. Overtime this will be more expensive than a chin implant. For patients that do not want to undergo surgery, this is a great option.

Option 3- Mandibular Advancement
In my opinion, this surgery should be reserved with patients with very small chins that would not be a candidate for a chin implant. This surgery is much more invasive with a longer recovery time that a chin implant.

In my practice, patient with very small chins, such as yours, I will create a custom designed chin implant.  I will get a CT scan of your facial bones.  I send that CT scan to a special company and using advance technology, I can create a custom implant for you facial structure.  

Chin implant?

Thank you for the question and sharing your photo and concerns.  You do appear to have a very small chin.  If this impacts how your teeth fit, there are procedures that can advance the entire lower jaw.  However, if it is just the cosmetic appearance, you appear to be a great candidate for a chin implant!  This can be performed on an outpatient basis under local anesthesia.  I would consider evaluation by a facial plastic surgeon or other cosmetic surgery specialist to discuss your options.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

You do have a very small chin.  Assuming your have no issues with your teeth alignment, a chin implant would benefit you!  If you place your finger from your lips straight down, your chin should almost touch your finger.  Yours is significantly behind.  Having a chin implant will project the chin forward to better balance the lower half of your face.

Chin implant versus sliding genioplasty

The Photographs demonstrate a significant underdevelopment of the mandible, and there are 2 options available. A chin implant could be inserted for purely cosmetic purposes to bring the  chin forward. Chin implants are performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. If the teeth do not fit together properly, consider a sliding genioplasty performed as an inpatient procedure by oral surgeon.

Chin implant

Yes, it appears you would benefit from either a chin implant or a geniioplasty. I recommend that you see a qualified plastic surgeon to determine what is best for you. 

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sliding Genioplasty

Assuming the orthodontics and lower jaw advancement surgery is not an option, a sliding genioplasty would be a better choice for you than a chin implant. Given your young age and the severe degree of chin retrusion a sliding genioplasty will create a better horizontal advancement that will have fewer potential long-term problems.