Will having a breast lift make your breast smaller, bigger, or stay the same size?

I wear a 36DD bra and I want to know if having a breast lift will make your breast smaller, buffers, or stay the same size? I definitely don't want my breast smaller; however I do want them fuller being that I lost a lot of volume after breastfeeding one of my kids. Right now, they are not at a full 36DD like I would like for them to be and I'm hesitant about implants bc I don't want to go to big, so would a fat transfer to the breast be an option for this?

Breast lift

Depending on the type of breast lift performed, the breast size stays about the same or slightly smaller than what you started out with.

Breast size after lift

Thank you for your question. Without a photo it is difficult to really see where you are, but it sounds like you need a breast lift. Most women following a lift feel like their breasts are smaller even though no breast tissue was removed.  With a breast implant you can have the shape and form you desire.. Your plastic surgeon in consult will be able to help you find the right implant to achieve your goals. If you really do not want an implant, fat grafting can be used to help with shape and fulness of your breasts. I hope all goes well with your surgery.
Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Will breast lift decrease breast size

During a mastopexy some breast tissue is removed and therefore most breasts a slightly smaller but better positioned on the chest wall. For those wanting upper pole volume an implant or fat transfer can be used for augmentation. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Fullness

Thank you for your question! While a breast lift can help reposition the breasts, this procedure is typically only performed when significant sagging has occurred. To determine if you require a breast lift, your board-certified plastic surgeon will examine the placement of the nipple in relation to crease of the breast to determine if a lift is needed. While a breast lift alters the shape of your breasts, a shift in volume can occur. Since you would not like to lose your volume, a breast augmentation may ideal for a more full effect. The addition of breast implants can create fullness in the upper pole areas. Depending on your goals and the look you would like to achieve, as well as the elasticity of your skin, please advise with a board-certified plastic surgeon to make your decision. 

Jay Burns, MD

Breast lift does not change breast size

A breast lift reshapes and lifts breast tissue without removing any natural breast tissue,  therefore my patients' breasts remain the exact same size after surgery as before surgery.

Hope this is helpful!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.A lift alone certainly will give a perky appearance; however, a lift will not change the volume of your breast tissue.If you are looking for more volume, it would be wise to consider breast augmentation.I recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.Good luck.

Breast lift and cup size

Your cup size does not have to change with a breast lift but some breast tissue does need to be removed in order to effectively perform the lift. The plastic surgeon can control the amount of tissue that is removed. Since you are already a DD cup size, I would not suggest adding any more volume to your breast (implants). Consult with a plastic surgeon in person for more detailed information.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Will undergoing a breast lift make my breasts smaller?

It depends on your tissue quality and excess skin available when considering The Horndeski Method breast lift. I have attached a video that briefly shows how excess tissue is removed for proper shape and molding. THM does not require the ugly vertical incision or breast implants to give women upper pole fullness and improved cleavage. I hope this helps.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

Hello Mom_on_a_mission,

Thank you for your questions. Breast Lift is among one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. A breast lift addresses sagging and uneven breasts, decreased breast volume and drooping nipples and stretched areolas, recreating a youthful shape and lift to your breasts. If there is too little or too much breast volume, a breast augmentation or breast reduction might be recommended in addition to a lift. Every year, thousands of women undergo successful breast-lift surgery, experience no major problems and are pleased with the results.Most patients that receive a breast lift go down approximately one cup size. Best of Luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

They will be smaller- kind of....

With a breast lift, your overall cup size will likely go down, but by how much is yet to be determined. Keep in mind that your breasts will become more dense (like when you were younger- which is desirable) by keeping the same mass (weight or amount of tissue), but decreasing the volume that they take up (cup size).

Physics Formula:

Density = Mass / Volume

The tighter your lift, the denser your breasts and the smaller the cup size you will ultimately have. Communicate your goals directly and without hesitation to your plastic surgeon.  From your vantage point, your breasts will be fuller and project off your chest more, so you will likely think they are bigger.  Remember though, we are talking 3-dimensionally.  Hope this helps.

-JGH