Will Augmented Breasts Change After Breast Feeding?

I am thinking about having my breasts augmented but I wanted to see what effect breast feeding will have on the appearance down the line.

VIDEO (CLICK BELOW) Nursing and breast feeding after breast augmentation

The appearance of augmented breasts after lactation, nurisng and breast feeding, will vary depending on the extent of breast engorgement, skin laxity, relative skin elasticity, implant size and implant placement. However, there is certainly to be some degree of ptosis (sagging). The degree of ptosis is not necessarily predictable.

Better to wait until after having children before getting breast implants

Many women find their breasts sag or increase/decrease in size. Of course this doesn't happen to everyone, though. 

For these reasons, I recommend waiting until after you finish having children before having breast implants. This allows you to achieve longer lasting results and minimizes the chance of having revision surgery.

Breast implants do not necessarily change position or shape after pregnancy.
However, the overlying breast tissue and/or skin does often change. The exact change the specific patient will experience during or after pregnancy is not predictable. Some common changes seen with the breasts  after pregnancy include " involutional  hypoplasia" (breasts  become smaller)  and/or breast ptosis (" drooping"). The changes the breasts experience may be related to genetic factors, skin elasticity changes, hormonal effects, and/or weight gain/loss around the time of pregnancy.
The changes that the overlying breast tissue and/or skin undergo after pregnancy may  cause the breast implant to appear “changed” after the pregnancy. For example, if the patient loses breast tissue volume after pregnancy, the breast implant may become more exposed and the patient may feel (rippling)  or see the implant more so than before pregnancy.
I ask my  patients to follow up with me  approximately 3 months after they have stopped breast-feeding to evaluate the breasts  and the underlying breast implants.

Augmented Breasts Changes with Pregnancy/Breast Feeding

Breast Shape After Breast Feeding and Breast Implants
Breast feeding is a difficult and complex event that affects all women and specifically their breasts differently. The one thing it will not change is the implant itself, which will have the same characteristics as when if was first place. For example, if your breasts grow several sizes with pregnancy and breast feeding or you gain substantial weight then it is very likely you will have sagging afterwards and benefit from a breast lift or other mommy makeover procedures.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Implants and breast feeding

It is hard to predict how the breast feeding will affect the final shape of the breasts after you stop breast feeding.  Everyone responds differently.

Pregnancy can change your breast.

Hi,

It is actually the pregnancy that has the effect on your breast. Your breasts will enlarge or become smaller regardless of whether you breastfeed or not. To what degree this will effect you is unknown. Also, these changes will only be magnified with the implants. It may be best to wait until after you are finished having children to avoid any further surgeries. However, if this is not in the near future, you could go ahead with the breast augmentation, but you may need a lift down the road. Definitely schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon if this is something you are considering and express your concerns with pregnancy.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

How breast feeding effects breast shape

Your breast shape is effected more by the number of pregnancies you have rather than by the act of breast feeding itself. Also, the change in shape due to a pregnancy will not be altered in any way by whether or not you have a breast implant. With pregnancy the breasts can get large and stay that way, they can return to their pre-pregnancy appearance or lose volume and become much smaller - this is all controlled by your own specific genetics. Obviously aging in between pregnancies also is a factor. As your skin ages your breast shape will change also. The fact of having an implant will not take away from what changes your breasts will go through during a pregnancy. So once you have your surgery feel comfortable with breast feeding. Of course discuss the risks of the surgery with your surgeon before you proceed.

Pregnancies after breast implants.

Hi!

Actually, it has been shown that it is not breast feeding that causes the breasts to change with babies. It is the pregnancies themselves that change your breasts, whether you breast feed or not.

And they probably will change in unpredictable ways when you have a baby. So if you are planning to get pregnant soon, put off the surgery.

But if your pregnancies are in the uncertain future, then go ahead and have a breast augmentation, and enjoy your new breasts.The worst that can happen is that you will need a touch up or a breast lift when you are done with babies.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast feeding and implants

Your guess would probably be as good as ours! It is very unpredictable as to what effect pregnancy, and post breast feeding will have on any individuals breasts. One thing for sure- there will be changes in most cases. Most often the breasts "droop" and need a lift which can be minor to more extensive.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

All bets are off

Pregnancy and breast-feeding will have unpredictable effects on your breasts. Some breasts will enlarge and stay large, some will involute and shrink, some will return to virtually original state, others may stay the same size but sag. What happens to your pregnancy weight gain might also have an effect. To have a predictable result, your body and weight must be stable. This is not the case when pregnant or breast-feeding.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD