Upper bleph or brow lift? (Photo)

Hi ive booked in for an upper bleph in a few weeks time but im worried i should be considering a lift. The doctor says my brow position is fine is this the case? Also will my brows drop after the procedure and could my eyes end up lookinh round or hollow? Thanks!

Upper bleph or browlift?

Thank you for the question and sharing your photo and concerns.  From the photograph, your brow position does not appear to be too low, but there may be some asymmetry that you need to discuss with your surgeon.  Conservative skin and fat removal should not dramatically change the shape of the eyes or relationship with the brow, in general. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Bleph or brow

The ideal position for the brow in a female is above the supraorbital rim (i.e. brow bone) in women.  Based on the picture posted your brow appears to be in good position.  It appears that you have some lateral hooding in your eyelid that could be improved on with an upper blepharoplasty for which you are scheduled.  You should have no problem with your brow falling or looking hollow after the procedure if performed correctly.

Enjoy your results,

Cody Koch

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

Browlift or blepharoplasty

You may benefit from re-establishing eyebrow symmetry during your blepharoplasty procedure. Be sure is board certified with expertise in these procedures.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid bleph

Your brow position appears good, so I would not think you need that done or they will appear too high.  You do have some extra skin which can be removed with a bleph. You do not have a significant amount of fat in the upper lids, so no fat should be removed or you could appear hollow.  If done correctly you should have no problems.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty or brow lift?

I agree that the position of your eyebrows looks good so I would not recommend a brow lift for you.  If your upper blepharoplasty is done correctly, your brows should not drop after the procedure and your eyes should not appear round or hollow.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelids

Definitely no browlift.  You'll likely need some skin removed just over the lateral upper lid.  Your medial upper lids have nice tarsal show.  Make sure your surgeon goes conservative on fat resection and doesn't hollow you out.

Patrick Simon, MD
Rockford Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift vs bleph

Thanks for your question. This is actually an important question to ask because frequently heaviness in the upper orbit is due to a combination of extra eyelid skin/orbital fat and brow droopiness and it's important to acknowledge the contributions of both.
In your case, I see lateral hooding of your lids that can be improved with a conservative upper blepharoplasty. Your brows are approaching the border of being too low. Definitely not something that would be worth surgery, but you might consider some Botox to achieve a little bit of a brow raise. I think that this combined with your planned surgery would look really good. 
Brows don't tend to drop following eyelid surgery except as a part of the normal aging process.
Good luck with your procedure!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelids

Your brow position appears fine the the photo. You appear to only need a conservative upper blepharoplasty for mild lateral hooding.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty only

The brow position noted in the photograph is adequate in a brow lift is not required. A   brow lift is only performed for patients who have low eyebrows.

Blepharoplasty alone

A Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery will clean up the upper lid skin and sculpt the excessive fat.  When the brows are below the orbital bone and there is excessive skin beyond the lids a Brow-lift is added.

It appears that the level of your brows is appropriate and you do not have extra skin beyond the lids; hence, a Blepharoplasty alone will suffice.