What surgery would you recommend? (Photos)

I've lost 67kg and I'm looking into a breast reduction. My bmi is 28 and my bra size is a 12J. I've have always led a active life even when morbidly obese. I'm quite happy with my arms and legs but have excess skin on my breast and under my armpits. I'm not sure what I want but I just want the pain and heaviness gone. Could I ever get down to 12 D

Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question. Congrats on your weight loss! You seem to be a good candidate for a breast reduction procedure. This will remove the excess, loose skin and reshape your breasts. This procedure may even be covered under insurance. Make sure that you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this area. Breast of luck! 

What surgery can be recommended?

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman's breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation. Breast reduction procedures are ideal for:

• Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
  • Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
  • Women with large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast Reduction procedure

Thank you for your question. You appear to have a fair amount of skin laxity and breast tissue and  look as if you might potentially benefit from a Breast Reduction procedure. Your best course of action is to schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will perform a thorough exam and assess your aesthetic goals and wishes. 

Breast reduction

Hard to say without seeing better pics.   You would need a full exam by a board certified plastic surgeon to be completely sure. From what I can see a lift would leave you a C cup...but I am just guessing as you are covering up your breasts in the pics.  for a full D you may need an implant. Some surgeons do this in one stage and some in two stages.  Good luck.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Breast reduction

Thank you for your pictures and question, looks like you can benefit from a breast reduction, this will improve your back pain and overall look of your breast,consult with a board certified PS,best of luck!

What surgery would you recommend?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your significant weight loss! Based on your history, photographs and description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations to perform. 

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons. Timing of service should be individualized based on the specific patient's  life circumstances and preferences.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "C cup” and/or “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.