liposuction vs surgical breast reduction?

26 year old 150 lbs with 34 DDD breasts. I want to have them reduced, but I'm concerned after meeting with a plastic surgeon. Insurance requires 500+ grams, which will leave me with less than an A cup. I don't want THAT drastic a change but don't want size DDD breasts anymore, I want a little bit left. Maybe B or C cup. I've been reading the paperwork the doctor gave me and it mentioned liposuction as an alternative am trying to do more research on that before I make my final decision.

Breast reduction or liposuction

You can choose to have as much tissue as you’d like removed, however as you mentioned this may affect whether your insurance covers the cost of your surgery or not. 

Liposuction is an option for you if your breast has enough fatty tissue that can be removed. The benefit with this technique is that you’ll have less scarring. However, this option is not effective for women with denser breasts, therefore you’ll need to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a physical examination to determine which breast reduction technique would be most suitable for you.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Although liposuction is an option, most younger women tend to have very dense breasts with significantly less fat than older women. This would limit the amount of volume reduction and also potentially compromised the skin envelope around it. In many cases, patients who do have liposuction for breast reduction also require a skin reduction procedure that leaves them with a scar that is similar to a formal reduction in the first place. Finally, this would not be an insurance covered benefit. I would certainly realize that although Insurance may not cover the procedure it is still worth considering the procedure. A reduction would necessarily result in a breast lift as many patients also have drooping and with the newer short scar techniques, this would allow you to enhance your shape with scar reduction from traditional anchor or wise pattern techniques. In any case, I would certainly recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these forms of breast surgery I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Scarless breast reduction

For my younger patients especially before childbearing the liposuction only operation is a wonderful option. You want to find a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this particular variation of the procedure for a second opinion. Besides the lack of scars it's an outpatient procedure instead of hospital, sedation versus general anesthesia, and usually a minimal recuperation. Something worth considering.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and liposuction

If your breasts are mainly fat tissue and not breast tissue then liposucition can reduce the volume. It will not tighten the skin envelope or lift/reduce the nipple-areola complex.

Liposuction vs surgical breast reduction?

Thank you for your question.  An experienced plastic surgeon should be able to accurately estimate the amount to remove to make your final size acceptable.  Not all insurance companies have the same volume requirements, some are reasonable and some are impossible to qualify for reduction.  I have had patients change insurance to get coverage and I have had patients pay out of pocket to get the size thy want.  In regards to liposuction for breast reduction-one caution is that a young patient is less likely to be a good candidate for liposuction to reduce the breast because the breast is more dense and less responsive to liposuction.  I would start with with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

I think that if you are a DDD to start with, I don't think that a formal breast reduction will get to you an "A" cup.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon