I am concerned about my scar from lower lid surgery 20 days post-op.

The surgeon said I needed skin removed only. The incision continues from just under my lash line quite far into my laugh lines. The incision is still deep and red and very tender and still very visible. Where the loose skin was removed is still swollen as well. I have not been seen post op yet, appt not til next week. Should I be calling the office with concern?

Need photos

Lower lid incisions heal very nicely and over time you should not be able to see the scar.  Please review your surgeons after photos to see how the scars have healed there to give you an idea of what to expect.  

Post-op lower blepharoplasty

Never hesitate to call your surgeon and request a check-up after surgery. It is not unusual to have redness and visibility of the incision at 3 weeks - and it may just need more time. Tenderness should be getting better week by week. Best wishes with your recovery.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid scarring following surgery

Thank you for your question.  You are still relatively early in the post-operative period and are still in the healing process.  That being said, follow up and discuss your questions and concerns with your surgeon.  Treatment options exist for post-operative scarring, when indicated.  Best wishes. 

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

Any concerns you have should be addressed in person by your surgeon. Good luck with your results!...

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. You are much too early in your healing process to evaluate your appearance. You should not be concerned at this point. Icing the area will help to keep the swelling down and can help to speed up the recovery process. I suggest that you do review the recovery instructions with your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I be worried about my eyelid scars after plastic surgery?

Scarring at this point can be normal, but also represent a larger problem. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon sooner rather than later.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is very peculiar not to be seen for a month after surgery.

It is likely that the incision needs to heal.  Sometimes these incisions are not well placed and can be quire visible.  The incision can be raised but the surgery is complex.  I strongly recommend that you follow your surgeons advice and give the eyelids 6 months before considering lower eyelid reconstructive surgery.

Lower Eyelid swelling can last upto 6 weeks. The scars typically will remain visible for unto 3 months. The part of the scar that extends to your 'laugh line' will be the last to subside. You can use Silicone Gel/Tape on the laugh line scar. Your Plastic Surgeon will be able to advise you

Lower eyelid surgery and downtime

Postop visit within a week after surgery is critical to ensure that you're healing properly.  If you have immediate concerns, I see no reason to postpone a visit.

Take note that scar further improves 6-12 months.  Nonetheless, social recovery after an eyelid surgery (i.e., the patient can go out in public) usually takes 10-14 days, although there might be some minimal bruising and swelling that can be camouflaged by makeup. 

Good luck and best wishes.