Can I have ruptured implants removed and replaced with new implants during the same procedure ?

Thank you for your question. You can have implants removed and replaces at the same surgery. I encourage you to meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in breast revision to discuss your goals and options. Best of luck.

Have ruptured implants removed and new ones placed

Yes it is standard to have new implants replaced once you take out ruptured implants.  Additional procedures may be necessary such as capsulectomy or capsulotomy (removing scar tissue/capsule) but you should be able to have new implants placed at the time of the surgery. Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Can I have ruptured implants removed and replaced with new implants during the same procedure ? Absolutely...

and you can also change things if something wasn't right with your ruptured implants.  Whomever you see should provide you a list of options from which you can choose.  Hope it goes well for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Thank you for your question. The short answer is yes, you can have implants removed and replaced in the same operation and this is usually standard. You may also need additional procedures such as removal of the breast implant capsule or the ruptured implant material. I would discuss the details of your case with your chosen plastic surgeon to understand exactly what is going to take place during the operation.

Replacing Ruptured Breast Implants

Implants are almost always replaced in one operation. The real question is what needs to be done. Do you also need a total or partial capsulectomy or capsulotomy and what kind of implants to use. Make sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience in implant revision.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Yes, ruptured implants are usually removed and replaced in one operation.  Depending on the maker of your implants and when they were placed, you may have a warranty that you can take advantage of.  If your implants have been ruptured for some time, there may be need for a capsulectomy/capsulotomy at the same time.  Discuss your options with board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  

Michael Brucker, MD

Women routinely have ruptured implants removed and new implants replaced during the same surgery. I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss which option is best for you.

Replacing implants

We almost always replace the implants at the same setting. Removal and replacement of the saline and silicone implants is performed every week in our breast revision practice. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Dear beanschock

It is unfortunate that you have this complication. In general, implant rupture is treated with removal and replacement with new implants at the same time. They can be replaced with similar size implants or changed to a different size if you so desire.
Look for an experienced ands well trained Plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. See more than one consult and make a well  informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal and replacement in one operation usually best

It is usually best to do a removal of a ruptured silicone implant and replacement in one operation. The scar capsule will probably have to be removed, and scarring during the healing would make it difficult to create a new space later for the replacement implant. If the tissue coverage is thin after removal of the capsule, Strattice might be considered.

Richard Baxter, MD