Noticeable size difference at 5 weeks post op? (Photos)

I am 5 weeks post op, I went with 450cc high profile silicone and I am still noticing a size difference between my right and left breast. My left size seams rounder and fuller and overall just nicer! My right just looks and feels so much smaller and it's really starting to bumm me out. The size difference is noticeable in pictures. Just wondering if I should be worried about it or if it's still normal at this point? Thanks for reading!

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Size difference

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. Unfortunately, 5 weeks is still too soon to tell. Swelling may continue to occur, so I suggest waiting a couple more weeks to heal. Please be sure to follow-up with your surgeon. I wish you the best of luck! 

Peter Newen, MD

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Asymmetric Breasts

This is not a size difference, it is a difference in implant position on your chest wall and under your native breast tissue. The rounder, fuller breast has an implant sitting appropriately under the breast tissue.  Under the 'smaller' breast, the implant is sitting higher on the chest wall, over filling the upper pole, but under filling the  lower pole, giving that breast a smaller appearance.  With time this may improve; you should wait at least 6 months. If not, a revision surgery may be planned. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Noticeable size difference at 5 weeks post op?

I can see what you're referring to. Anytime there's a dramatic difference in the size of the breast, it's always a good idea to make sure that your plastic surgeon has evaluated you. Sometimes a size difference can simply be related to asymmetrical swelling, or the implants settling at a different rate, but sometimes size differences can result from a collection of fluid around the implant. Assuming that your plastic surgeon has evaluated you, and is not concerned with any collection of fluid, then I would recommend giving yourself more time to heal. Hopefully the asymmetry will improve as the implants settle in the coming months.

Size difference

Thank you for the photo and question and if there was no size difference prior to surgery, this is a concern and should be evaluated by your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

You are still early in recovery and is entirely possible that your symmetry will be improved over the next 3-4 months.  Vascular plastic surgeon about the possibility of breast implant displacement exercise focus primarily on the right side to help expand the pocket and help the implant drop.