Giant wound under left breast 4 weeks post op lift implant exchange? (Photos)

4 weeks post op breast lift and implant exchange for way smaller. I hv an almost 2 inch open wound under my breast. I understand it's a t sore. Its not getting better. I'm scared, and depressed It seems to be no big deal to my PS but it is to me. I'm using Vaseline and gauze. Is there anything I could be taking, doing, a way I could be sleeping, something I could be wearing or not wearing? I'm desperate. Should I go to the er? It's not infected. Just huge and nasty. It barely even discharges.

Breast lift and implants - worried about open area

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and implant exchange.
  • I consider any open wound near an implant to be a 'big deal' -
  • Your surgeon probably does too but doesn't want to make you even more anxious.
  • Open wounds are very frustrating - and they take time to heal.
  • Lack of discharge is a good sign - 
  • Assuming your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, follow her/his instructions and be patient.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Giant wound under left breast 4 weeks post op lift implant exchange?

Open wounds at the T portion of your scar tend to heal well on their own. Be patient. You should consider an antibiotic ointment instead of vaseline to lower the bacterial count at the site of the wound. In my practice, I like xeroform gauze for management of small open wound and I anecdotally believe it works better than antibiotic ointment and gauze. You can discuss with your surgeon for best advice.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Wound

I am so sorry you are having this difficulty, but you will heal. The ER will probably not be of much help. Please continue to see your surgeon and follow all his/her instructions.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Wound after surgery

Thank you for your question and photos. Healing issues after surgery can sometimes be a problem. It is good that you are following this closely with your plastic surgeon. Sometimes, there may be some additional tissue or suture material that needs to be removed to speed up the healing process. Regarding a wound dressing, you may want to ask your surgeon if they have any experience using MediHoney. I have found this to be effective in speeding up the healing process of some of my patients. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

#BreastImplantRevision - Giant wound under left breast

I'm sorry for the problems you're having but I agree that this is worrisome.  You are doing the right thing by staying in close contact with your plastic surgeon.  You can see one or more plastic surgeons for additional opinions but I'm not sure that this is the right time for that (never wrong, though).  A lot depends on what's under that white area.  That spot - the inverted "T" is the point of maximum tension and minimal blood supply, and so it often breaks down after breast lifts or reductions.  Since there is no implant in those procedures, it usually heals well on its own.  It's different for you because you have an implant, and an open wound over an implant will not usually heal on its own.  As long as the implant is not exposed your wound should heal; that would mean the breakdown is just the superficial tissues and as long as the implant's covered, it will likely heal on its own.  Also, if there is a layer of Alloderm or another ADM over your implant, it is similarly protected.  Gentle wound care (Aquaphor) and not trauma to wound should help.  If, however, the implant becomes visible at any point then you will most likely need a revisional surgical procedure.  It may be hard for you to determine that so continue seeing your PS and, at some point, you may want to have a "What if?" conversation - what will happen if the implant becomes exposed? Hopefully this will heal on its own and that will be the end of the issue.  I hope that this helps and good luck, Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Wounds following anchor procedures

are quite common.  Best to go with your surgeon's advice as he/she should be desiring the best outcome for you.  Your wound will heal if it isn't in continuity with your implant.  Minimal discharge and lack of progression of the wound are good signs.  And lack of spreading redness is also good.  Trust your surgeon to do the best he/she can for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Wound

Having an open wound near an implant needs to be addressed by your surgeon.  Follow up with your surgeon as recommended to avoid additional complications.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

I am sorry to see/hear about the complication you are experiencing. These types of complications may occur after breast  augmentation/lifting surgery and can be quite (understandably) anxiety provoking for both patients (and their surgeons).  These types of wounds  most often occur  act intersections of incisions where tension is the greatest and blood supply is the least.  Of course, the major concern is that there is an underlying breast implant and exposure of the breast implant would most likely lead to the need for its removal. 
Given that your plastic surgeon is following your situation closely, it is likely that you have had the opportunity to discuss options available to you. At this point, best to continue to follow up closely with him and let him know of any changes that have occurred.  Sometimes, removal of exposed sutures and/or unhealthy tissue expedites the healing process. I do not think that a visit to the emergency room would be helpful. Best wishes.