Why are there wrinkles on my labia majora? And excess skin on left side of labia minora? (Photos)

I am a 19 year old female with wrinkles that look quite deep on my labia majora? Is this normal, how did this happen and is there a way to reduce the wrinkles? Also, on the bottom of my left side labia minora, there is excess skin that bunches up almost into a ball. Is this normal?

Wrinkles in Labia Majora and excess tissue of the labia minora

This is a common and normal appearance of the Labia Majora.  I can't tell the exact area of the labia minora that you are concerned about , but if this is an area of excess tissue, it could possibly be removed.   If you are concerned about these areas, please see a gynecologist specializing in cosmetic genital surgery for suggestions as to how to approach your concerns. Best wishes!

Labia majora wrinkles and excess skin of the minor

I would recommend an in person consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  It is difficult the tell the exact nature of your concerns from one photo. If you are unhappy with the cosmetic appearance of the labia majora a couple of options are thermiVA for tightening and/or filler or fat grafting to restore volume if they are deflated.  If there is excess labia minora skin, a labiaplsty can be performed in the office under local anesthesia (or in the operating room if you prefer) to remove the extra tissue.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkles on the labia major and minora.

Thank you for sharing your posting pictures. Although your labia majora  and minora appear normal to me. There are normal variations in the appearance of both labia majora and minora. 
if you do want to perform a procedure to minimize or remove these wrinkles then I would consider a nonsurgical ThermiVa  procedure for these. This utilizes radio frequency to tighten the skin and therefore giving a more taunt  appearance which lead to a decrease in wrinkles and an overall more youthful appearance..

This procedure is relatively painless with no downtime.

Minora and majora

Thanks for sharing.  The labia majora wrinkles are normal but obviously unwanted.  A large nose is normal for some individuals but they get a nose job well the same can apply to wrinkled labia majora.  If it bothers you it can be fixed.  The wrinkling usually comes from weight gain and weight loss and the resulting stretch skin get wrinkles not unlike other parts of the body. To get short term results of reducing the wrinkles one can do radiofrequency i.e. ThermiVA but to get long lasting/permanent results (pending no excessive weight gain/loss and and or pregnancy)  labia majora reduction can be performed (please see the link below on the first paper in the world written on concurrent  labia minora and majora reduction).  As for the labia minora a small reduction of the labia minora can be performed simultaneously.  

IMPORTANT:  if you are going to reduce the majora and minora reduction the surgeon must understand that the majora should be reduced first (during same surgery) and then reduce the minora. If one does the minora first you will still end up with protruding labia minora.  Also if you reduce the majora it will probably make both labia protrude a little more thus you are even more prone to have the labia minora reduction (minor reduction) on both sides. 

When choosing a surgeon choose a surgeon who has vast experience in minora and majora reduction. Please note that very few surgeons have any experience the majora reduction.  Look for before and after photos to help you make a decision on your surgeon.  You don't want to end up like so many patients who consult this site with a botched labia reduction or devastating scars of the majora.

John R Miklos MD
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon & Urogynecologist

The "wrinkles" on your labia major are normal, as is the left side. Most women's labias are not completely symmetrical and thats NORMAL. If the excess skin on the left side is something that bothers you, i would advise consulting with a professional. A mini labiaplasty may be an option. Best of Luck!

Labia Wrinkles

For the most part your labia look completely normal. Nonetheless, I frequently have patients like yourself seek and undergo labiaplasty for that excess skin of the labia minors. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labia question

Dear Jaiai, Your labia looks perfectly normal as well as the "wrinkles" that you are seeing. Some times I do have clients that seek filler in that area but make sure you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this matter if you decide to get an opinion. Best of luck 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Why are there wrinkles on my labia majora? And excess skin on left side of labia minora?

Relax...because everything that you are describing is NORMAL. The vagina has a wide range of what is considered normal. Various things can affect how your vagina looks. Aging in general along with weight loss can cause volume depletion in the labia majora leading to wrinkles. Hormones and trauma can cause the labia minora to increase in size and this is usually not symmetric. It is becoming more common for women to have plastic surgery on their vagina known as a labiaplasty. This may entail reduction of the labia minora and/or fat grafting to the labia majora. If these things really bother you then you can absolutely find a PS and undergo surgery but it is not necessary

Normal Anatomy

There are different folds and creases throughout normal vaginal anatomy. If the outer labia bother you, you can have fat grafting performed to puff up the labia majora and decrease the folds.
For the inner labia, there can be excess tissue which can be removed with a labiaplasty. Best to see an experienced plastic surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty or a GYN with lots of before and after photos of the labiaplasty surgery. Avoid the trim method if possible.

External Vaginal Rejuvenation

Everything that you are describing looks There are multiple options that now exist to help with external vaginal rejuvenation of the labia minora and majora.  New devices can improve the skin quality without any surgical intervention.  Fat grafting can also be performed to the labia majora to give added volume.  Redundant labia minora tissue can be removed with a labiaplasty.  Good luck to you.  

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon