I have under the muscle silicone 250cc.

I feel like I look like a teenager. My PS recommended I try the rice test to make sure of the size I want. I ended up with a half cup 118cc. So would 350cc's be the outcome? I don't want 368. Thanks.

Understanding size change with implant exchange

There is a great temptation to try and fine-tune the implant size decision - whether first time or implant exchange - beyond the accuracy of any of the methods used to predict size. Most methods including the rice bag test tend to over-predict, so going to a slightly larger size such as a 368 instead of 350 is reasonable. Keep in mind also the the 18 cc difference is barely more than a tablespoon.

Best breast implants for me?

Although useful as rough guidelines and as communication tools, all the modalities currently used to predict what breast implant size/profile will best achieve a patient's goals with breast augmentation are NOT very accurate, in my opinion. The use of the rice test, sizers placed beneath a patient's bra, goal pictures, computer imaging technology… are all useful, but not necessarily as accurate as one would hope.

In my opinion, nothing will replace careful verbal preoperative communication with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror along with the use of as many "communication" tools” listed above.

In my practice, I use all of the above modalities and then use intraoperative temporary sizers to help determine the best breast implant size/profile to achieve a patient's specific goals as closely as possible. For this reason, I think it is helpful to have the entire range of breast implant sizes/profiles available in the operating room.

Achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding to the operating room is also an important part of the preoperative communication process. Patients should be aware that the results of their breast augmentation will not necessarily match exactly what they are visualizing with anyone of the above-mentioned communication tools.
  Given your questions and concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon. This additional time spent will be helpful in the communication process and in alleviating some of your anxiety. Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the planned procedure.

Breast augmentation - choosing the right implant

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.'
  • Your choice seems reasonable -
  • There are various other ways to evaluate your choice (see my attached video.)
  • Hope the implant exchange goes well and you are happy with the result!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS