I have gained about 25 pounds over the past year, should I lose it before a Mommy makeover?

I have gained about 25 pounds over the past year, mostly in my stomach. 125 up to 140. I just scheduled my Mommy Makeover for October 7th, is it recommended to be at my ideal weight before surgery or does it even matter since it will all be cut off and sucked out anyway.

Ideal Weight Prior to Surgery

Pregnancy and childbirth causes fat to be deposited in other unwanted areas, like your hips or thighs. It stretches the abdominal wall skin and muscle tone. And you can actually approach each of those areas and rejuvenate them and in some cases make them better than before pregnancy. Its always best to be at your ideal stable weight. Check in consultation with your plastic surgeon prior to scheduling, but this would be my recommendation.

you need to be as close to your ideal body weight before such procedures. The result will be better and if you lose substantial weight after the surgery, your skin may " loosen" again compromising the result. 

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Proper weight for surgery

It is best to be as close to your ideal body weight as possible before surgery to enhance your results and minimize complications.  However, as long as you are still in a healthy weight range and your weight is stable, you can continue to proceed with surgery.  It's a good idea to incorporate a healthy lifestyle including diet and exercise so that you can continue to enjoy your results for years to come.

Camille Cash, MD

The right weight

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.

Dr derby

It is always best to lose as much weight as you can before surgery. Also important is to have a healthy diet routine at that moment , this will help you a lot during post op. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Weight loss before surgery

You should lose weight prior to having your surgery as you will have a better cosmetic outcome. You will also lower your risk of surgical complications with weight loss.

William Bruno, MD

Mommy makeover

It is best to be at your goal / stable weight before having surgery. This will give you the best possible outcome. I suggest having a discussion with your surgeon regarding this. Best of luck!

Ideal weight

For safety concerns it usually behooves the patient to be within 10 lbs of their ideal weight prior to elective body contouring surgery. 

Good luck

Mommy Makeover, should i lose weight?

Thank you for your question. It is highly recomended to have a stable weight before surgery for at least 4 months, idealy your goal weight. This will help you achieve the best results and minimize risks during and after surgery. Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute