How old do I have to be to get a nose job?

Is there an age requirement? I've heard that you have to be 21 or older. Is this true or can I get it at any age I want? What will happen if I do decide to get it before 21? Thank you.

Hi there, thanks for your question. You do not have to wait until you’re 21 to get a rhinoplasty, but I recommend that you be physically and psychologically mature before considering the procedure. The age of maturity may vary between the sexes. As a minor, you will need parental consent. As always, booking a consultation with a board-certified surgeon is your best bet to determine when a procedure may be appropriate.

Age for rhinolasty

Generally we wait until a female is 16, and a male 17 for rhinoplasty. There are some exceptions, but they are unusual. Thank you for your question.

You could have your nose done at age 19 or earlier, however, before 18 you need parental consent.

Fred Suess, MD

Thank you for the question. It is generally recommended that rhiboplaty is performed after the age of 16 for girls and 17 for boys. This is due to face bone maturity and development. If the deformity is the nose is significant then surgery can be performed before the age of 16. You do not have to wait till 21 to get a rhinoplasty.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

How old do I have to be to have a Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  The nose is still growing up to around 17-18 years of age.  After this time it's safe to have rhinoplasty surgery.  I'm also interested to know if someone is mature enough to make good choices and appreciate the risks before I offer them surgery.  Best of luck

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Old for Rhinoplasty

Elective cosmetic surgery on the nose is delayed until nasal growth is complete, usually about age 15-16 for ladies and 18-19 for males.

Rhinoplasty candidate

The minimum acceptable age to undergo a rhinoplasty is 16 for girls and age 18 for boys. This is to make sure that the nose and the face have stopped growing.

It is generally recommended that nasal surgery be delayed until after 16-17 for a female and after 17-18 for a male. Waiting until then usually allows the nose to reach its adult size.
Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: age requirement

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of your nose for breathing or appearance. Your face grows along with the rest of your body. It's best to think about surgery after your face has stopped growing. It would not make sense to operate on a nose that will grow/change. Good indicators that you are done growing is the completion of puberty and unchanged shoe size. I would consult with a rhinoplasty specialist to determine whether you are a safe candidate. An examination and photoanalysis will help determine what treatment options are appropriate for your nose/face for a safe and happy outcomes. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is really no magic age for Rhinoplasty.  In general, a person's nose is full grown in the later teen years.  Consult with a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation to determine if you are a candidate for surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD