Are there any non-surgical options for gynecomastia? I'm considering surgery but have read stories here w/ poor outcomes.(photo)

As noted in my last post, age 66 male. Started Androgel in approx. May/June 2014 and progression is shown in pictures - August, Nov., and now. I feel aching and pains so still must be growing. My doc said to continue w/Androgel but lower dose. She said this is true gynecomastia and breasts are fully feminized. Is surgery for this the same as a mastectomy? Any dangers for doing nothing other than live with breasts? And why is this changing so fast?

Doctor Answers 8

Gynecomastia Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are no non-surgical treatments for fully developed gynecomastia. Large gynecomastias may require a staged approach to get the best reduction due to the excessive skin. But poor outcomes usually only result from over resection of the breast tissue.

Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. 

The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Your options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I know of no FDA approved non surgical/non invasive treatment for gynecomastia. If you are seeking non surgical options for mild gynecomastia, I think that Vanquish which uses RF energy, or UltraShape that uses ultrasound rather than Cool Sculpt would be the best option though all are off FDA usage. Surgery is the best option for the vast majority of patients with gynecomastia.

Advanced gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I'd see your doc to rule out any hormonal irregularities that may be contributing to the development of gynecomastia.  Once things are ruled out (and they almost always are) then be sure to see a qualified plastic surgeon who does a lot of these advanced cases. There are different approaches, but all will require excision of breast tissue. Mastectomy is removal of breast (and sometimes nipple).  The two surgeries are similar in idea, but different in technique. 

Non-Surgical Treatment for Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi msuguy4402,

Thank you for posting. The answer to your main question is no, there are no non-surgical treatments for gynecomastia. The only predictable treatment is surgery. Based on your photos, you have significant gynecomastia. If the skin tone is poor then you may require more than just excision of the breast tissue with or without liposuction. You may need skin resection as well. I recommend that you be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in gynecomastia surgery.


Dr. Dadvand

Severe gynecomastia.You better find a very experienced surgeon.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You suffer from severe gynecomastia.You better find a very experienced gynecomastia surgeon,who performs at least dozens of this kind of surgery yearly. You can see the before and after in the surgeons web site.Talk to the office manager,see how familiar she is about this procedure.You also can ask the surgeon to give you references,and lat but not least see reviews that pertained only to gynecomastia.Good luck.  


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You would benefit from a corrective procedure involving excision and liposuction. As there is skin excess as well, it is advisable to plan a skin reduction as part of the procedure. It is best to discuss regarding the scarring with the surgeon. 

Mehboob Ali, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The breast is one of many end organ receiving stimulation from circulating hormones. Your estrogen appears

to be high since the first picture. The question is what other organ systems are being effected by the

hormonal manipulation you are receiving.  I suggest you get a comprehensive evaluation by an

endocrinologist before any surgery.  Among other issues, 1% of all breast surgeries are in men. Do you have

a family history of breast cancer?

In terms of treatment, the longer you wait the more skin, and more difficult the reconstruction/outcome.

Hope this helps

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.