Are my lips too short for permalip?

At my consultation the doctor measured the length of my lips with a soft ruler and said i was ALMOST 5.I researched when i got home and if my lips are almost 5cm then my lips are at 50mm or just under. The shortest length permalip makes is 55mm. He never gave me any indication that i shouldn't go through with it, but why didnt he tell me my lip length is too short? Do i have any options? And does anyone know if /when permalip will come out with more sizes? Thank you!

Are my lips too short for permalip?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant. The implants comes in 55, 60 and 65mm's in length.  Take a soft tape measure and see how many mm's each of your lips are. I haven't seen any patients with under 50mm and even 50 mm's are unusual. Most patients seem to have 65mm upper and 60 mm lower lips. If your lips are 50mm's, the implant can be trimmed on each end as the implant has significant tapering at each end.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Permalip implants

Thank you for asking about your Permalip implants.

Your lips are not too short for Permalip implants - the ends of the implant are easily trimmed if they are too long. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

You should be fine

the measuring is not exact and you are close. I would bet that the 55 will work, just don't go too big. Maybe stay with the 4mm implant. Your surgeon can also trim it if it is too long, but it needs to be tapered on the end too. They likely won't ever come out with a short implant -- just bigger! Good luck

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon